Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Default Re: AVID what is the status of USB 3.0 compatibility with Pro Tools?

http://www.thepinguin.net/2010/01/wh...-usb-with-3-0/
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
That still tells us nothing. Post a picture and some actual data about what model the macbook is.

Wow, this is entertaining. The files aren't going to disappear if you open the housing up and take a picture.

Do you seriously expect anyone else to go out of their way to prove this for you?

LOL!!!!!
What the hell is your problem. Try to stop being such an A@@hole. I was concerned because it is not my laptop or hard drive, it's my girlfriends. Losing my data is one thing to lose someone else's data merely because you don't believe me (which quite honestly I don't give 2 sh@ts about) is another. I posted because I wanted to warn others from making the same mistake I did, not to be ripped apart and ridiculed by some pompous tw@t with his head so far up his own butt that he can see his tonsils.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hulnick View Post
What the hell is your problem. Try to stop being such an A@@hole. I was concerned because it is not my laptop or hard drive, it's my girlfriends. Losing my data is one thing to lose someone else's data merely because you don't believe me (which quite honestly I don't give 2 sh@ts about) is another. I posted because I wanted to warn others from making the same mistake I did, not to be ripped apart and ridiculed by some pompous tw@t with his head so far up his own butt that he can see his tonsils.

None of this matters.

You are still a shill and spammer for Recording Connection
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Feel better now? As flommer said, you are a known spammer for recording connection. It's going to take more than several vague posts about hard drives before anyone on here takes you seriously.

Well since you flipped out and finally went through the trouble of posting some pictures.... Now we might actually be able to answer your question. From what I can see it looks like there is some kind of adaptor attached to that drive. It probably snaps out, is held in with screws, or pulls out. If you look at a normal SATA drive the connections are always tucked under the upper metal casing, this one looks like it's sticking out and not part of the actual drive.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:41 AM

Yeah, whatever man.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, whatever man.
u mad bro?

John toolbox gave u help. What more do you want?
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM

These look like SAS slot loaded, and modded drives...(edit I just looked again at my 3.5 inch and didn't count the pins on the picture correctly -- they are SATA)

Alsoft DiskWarrior has found a problem with booting some '09 '10 models. Apple changed boot roms again. I didn't read back as I ignore venting.

Bummer is Leopard will not reinstall off the DVD to firewire. So you have to install on a clean drive on a Tower (dual 800 G-4 or faster with a SATA card, or a G-5, which is SATA 1.5, but one can bridge down two pins on some drives from Sata 2 to 1.5... to format and install, or use a newer G-5, or MacPro with Sata 2.0) then clone it with SuperDuper's free clone tool. Even pace authorizations for programs are cloned...

Also OWC sells a swiss army knife all connector adapter for 2.5 and 3.5 drives...the best solution IMO. Diskwarrior wailed on my boot partition... fixed it in an hour, booted (BSD) perfectly did not lose any data (but view preview first and copy unrecoverable folder over to another drive or cruzer)...as many are experiencing hacks that overwrite bit volume data... these are not complete drive failures, but cyber tests... and/or kiddy scripters with sophisticated code... but I'm more inclined to believe we will uncover soon enough the true reason.

Call Alsoft and see if your girlfriend's model is on their list. Don't just order... they were waiting last month for a new boot rom from Apple and it hadn't arrived... try to mount her drive via the adapter or firewire and repair it. Lot of Cyber-Texxorism going on now via routers. I didn't read diddley, just looked at the pictures. Life is tough enough for us all without screwing up your girlfriends macbook pro, I like to think I'm empathetic... walk in other's shoes. Applecare screws up all the time with replacement parts. I could tell you stories you would not believe... one reason perhaps they are now separate companies.

Disk Utility is a joke (overwritten files unrepairable)...displays errors when it finds duplicate files in case sensitive or case unsensitive formatting. Onyx runs and even older outdated script -- updates from Apple include Disk Utility updates.

Diskwarrior 4.2 removes the new 'hacker' written files, preserving the underlying original files. Study the Preview first before clicking on rebuild (after DW has done its thing) in the unrecoverable folder, copy that entire folder to a sandisk cruzer or another firewire drive, you will not lose any data. It may even boot. Mine did. I was getting the infamous BSD. 200 gig boot partition was recovered.

One problem for audio recording is we disable journaling. Macs don't like this. If the battery dies on location, it can mess up a drive. Despite what people think, many record stereo to the internal drive for live recording... to stay completely on batteries, and not deal with insurance issues or duck tape on the floor.

Not all firewire enclosures will boot. I always buy from OWC and talk to TS first. But SuperDuper clone tool, they warn that some firewire enclosures will not boot new macs.

The OWC enclosure is an oxford 934 (I think) with a mini PCB that converts PATA (ATA) to SATA. Just the opposite of your pictures.

I am reposting this to change the subject, back to the OP: unless someone has a correction to make. I didn't read the earlier inflammatory stuff... venting. We all need to once in a while.

USB-3 aint' no walk in the park BTW.

http://www.thepinguin.net/2010/01/wh...-usb-with-3-0/

Last edited by aka21stCentury; 02-23-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: counted the pins correctly this time on photos. USB-3 arrrg!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM

When I say this guy: I am referring to myself... Bill Mayer said yesterday -- 400 have it great, for the other 6 billion life sucks.

We all say regrettable things. If you quote them, the original poster can't delete them.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
u mad bro?

John toolbox gave u help. What more do you want?
That's the thing. He hasn't tried to help. He just flings insults at me. I asked for help and assistance not flaming.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Administrator

If this seller on ebay is correct, you can't use that as an internal drive. This looks like the exact same model as the one in your picture:
Western Digital WD10TMVW-11ZSMS0 1Tb 2.5" USB3
Quote:
Western Digital 1000Gb USB Hard Drive

This drive has never been used and came out of external WD drive.

Attention!!! This drive can not be used for laptop or notebook computer as it has a USB connector build into the PCB. This item is for recovery purpose or can be used as an external USB drive only.

Western Digital 1Tb/ 1000Gb USB 3.0 Hard Drive

MDL: WD10TMVW-11ZSMS0

Date: 22 Oct 2010

DCM: EBMTJHBN

R/N: 771737

PCB: 2060-771737-001 Rev. P1 - on the PCB board

Product of Thailand

More information you can see on the enlargable actual picture, just click on the link below the picture.
A Google search for the model number "WD10TMVW" doesn't find much else, but does suggest that it is a 5400 RPM drive, and from the pictures and description, it sounds to me like the USB3 port is what is built-in to the PCB.