Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Default M-Box3 Driver Causing Blue Screen (Fully Detailed Crash Reports Attached)

Hello Avid,

I have been using the Mbox3 for a few months now and ever since I have started using it my computer has been throwing bug checks (aka Blue Screens).

I decided to look into the issue behind these bug checks and found that your driver for the Mbox titled "AvidMbox.SYS" has a bug in it that needs to be fixed. I have ruled out all other potential causes for the bug checks. This means that it is your driver that is causing them. They tend to occur when I have been using the Mbox3 to communicate through skype. I'm not sure if this is the reason it is crashing but it is something to consider.

I am running the latest drivers (at this time the latest driver is version 1.1.10 for windows).

My computer specs:
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z Motherboard
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDDs
AMD FX 8350 8-core CPU
MSI Radeon HD 7770 Graphics Card
Avid Mbox 3 with driver version 1.1.10
AudioTechnica AT2020 Microphone
Windows 7 HomePremium 64-bit. Updated to the latest version.
(If you would like to know any more specs please ask)

This needs to be fixed! You have released a driver that can potentially harm your customers computers.

A PDF with all of the crash reports has been attached.
These crash reports were created using the Windows Debugger (WinDbg.exe)

Thanks and I hope you take the time to fix this issue.
-Ethan Harte
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AvidMbox3_BugCheckDebug.pdf (48.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 PM

Default Re: M-Box3 Driver Causing Blue Screen (Fully Detailed Crash Reports Attached)

Hello Mate,
I'm having the same Problem with my Protools duet by apogee.
I'm having same Bluescreen of death.. before this it just clicks and pops then all in sudden it hangs and dies.
Its kinda funny i thought avid support to be solid and i hoped they would help me about this problem, but its been 3 weeks and still no solution.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:54 PM

Default Re: M-Box3 Driver Causing Blue Screen (Fully Detailed Crash Reports Attached)

Ya this problem needs to be fixed. I would love to use the gear I bought. Spread the word.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:04 PM

I have the same problems. My MBOX 3 driver causes me to get a Blue Screen of Death way too often. Not with PT12 so much but as I use it to play music from my computer through the monitors, especially after the computer has not been restarted for a while. This really gets old fast... The BSOD says "AvidMbox.SYS" is causing the problem and I have dumps attached... This problem is WAY PAST DUE being fixed! My impression is it has occurred on different platforms for about 10 years!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WER-56019-0.sysdata.pdf (144.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 110315-28813-01.pdf (212.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM

If you are on Windows and using Pro Tools 11 and above you should/must use your onboard (or other) soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio and leave your interface for Pro Tools only. Not documented by Avid, but well documented here on the DUC.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Hey Weed: I'll try that. I have balanced & unbalance input on my monitors, I'll run a cable to the monitors from the computer and reset the computer sound device to its own.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:08 PM

Next thing to try; unplug the Mbox and uninstall the driver. reboot and install the driver, THEN plug the Mbox back in, BUT into a different USB port(keeping in mind that each pair of ports is on the same bus, so move more than the very next port)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Hey Weed: Things are better, the occasional distortion has stopped, but I got another BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) tonight and lost a lot of work... This never happened until I got a new i7 360 Hz Lenovo w 16 mb RAM... I could not run 12 on my old lap top so I bought a slight overkill desktop just for PT and I've had this stupid blue screen issue ever since. I have done everything avid suggests to optimize PT and this still occurs upon occasion and no, I am not running the Mbox 3 in a USB 3.0 port, but in a 2.0 port under Win 7 as suggested... There is nothing in the knowledge base about this on PT 12. I wish someone would dp something about it...
Old 11-28-2015, 06:06 AM

Please post a Sandra Report on your new computer as per the "Help Us Help You" sticky. There may also be suggestions in that Thread you can use.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Please post a Sandra Report on your new computer as per the "Help Us Help You" sticky. There may also be suggestions in that Thread you can use.

Cheers,
What is a Sandra report? What's the "help us help you" sticky? What's a sticky? I have no idea what you are suggesting...