Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2018, 11:30 PM

Default Editing Question (matching edited tracks)

Hi there. A question that I'm not sure is possible.

Let's say I spend hours manually editing grouped drum tracks, and for some reason I forgot to include the hi-hat (or another) track. Is there a way to select the Hi-hat track and simply "match" the edits of another track?

Basically, I'm wondering if I can match the edits of specific tracks that were all recorded at the same time.

thanks for any help.

Joel

ps - I'm still running PT10HD
Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Editing Question (matching edited tracks)

What kind of edits?

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 AM

I don't think there's a "legal" way to do this, and the exact approach would depend on how complex the edits are, but if the hat files had *exactly* the same length and start times as one of the already edited drum files, I imagine you could duplicate one of the already edited tracks, put it in it's own session, then temporarily remove it's source audio from the system and force a relink to the hat files, then save that and import it into the existing session. Don't have enough time to exactly lay out all the steps, but while it's a bit messy, I think it would work. Curious if anyone else has an easier workaround.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldadrummer View Post
... manually editing grouped drum tracks, and for some reason I forgot to include the hi-hat (or another) track. Is there a way to select the Hi-hat track and simply "match" the edits of another track? ...
No way that I know of. If it were me, I'd go back to the original drum tracks, add the hi hat to the group, & re-edit. Done.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What kind of edits?
Just general edits. Moving things a few hundred samples here and there, fades etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I don't think there's a "legal" way to do this, and the exact approach would depend on how complex the edits are, but if the hat files had *exactly* the same length and start times as one of the already edited drum files, I imagine you could duplicate one of the already edited tracks, put it in it's own session, then temporarily remove it's source audio from the system and force a relink to the hat files, then save that and import it into the existing session. Don't have enough time to exactly lay out all the steps, but while it's a bit messy, I think it would work. Curious if anyone else has an easier workaround.
Thanks, that's an interesting idea. I'll give that a try.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
No way that I know of. If it were me, I'd go back to the original drum tracks, add the hi hat to the group, & re-edit. Done.
Unfortunately my example was just an example. In my case I've spent several days editing some studio tracks individually that were not recorded with a click to try and match them to grid (long story!), and I've realized it would have made sense to group at least some of them together even though I'm having to do a lot of individual adjustment.
Just thought I'd see if there was some sort of handy 'match edits' function for tracks that were recorded simultaneously.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Just general edits. Moving things a few hundred samples here and there, fades etc.
Moving audio is one thing; copying automation is another. For moving the audio there's no easy way other than by eye. Certainly there's no one button push easy way to do what you're asking about.

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately my example was just an example. In my case I've spent several days editing some studio tracks individually that were not recorded with a click to try and match them to grid (long story!), and I've realized it would have made sense to group at least some of them together even though I'm having to do a lot of individual adjustment.
Just thought I'd see if there was some sort of handy 'match edits' function for tracks that were recorded simultaneously.
Nope.
Just make sure you charge handsomely for all the work you've done and have ahead of you

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
... thought I'd see if there was some sort of handy 'match edits' function for tracks that were recorded simultaneously.
Group them all and then edit.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume