Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Default Logic Pro 9

Looks like I made the right decision (for once!)

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/whats-new/
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 9

How do you mean?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Really thought twice about leaving PT8 because of it's elegant notation and elastic audio but it looks like Apple took care of those in the update. It remains to be seen if Apple's timestretching and manipulation is up to EA standards but it certainly looks like it is as user friendly and intuitive. Logic notation has received a facelift too.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM

I first started with Logic then moved to PT because that is what is used where I work, so I hang out in both here and at Logic boards. What is funny is reading both you sometime forget which site your on because the message all sound the same. These bugs are so old, I'm switching, When is <fill in appropriate company> going to listen to us, when will they tell us something, when will it be 64-bit. And on and on only the names of the posters change.

Today on the Logic board some are happy, many are hoping Logic 9 fixes a laundry list of old bugs. Many upset Logic 9 is Intel only. Others feel it should of been and 8.2 free update not a paid upgrade. So the grass isn't alway greener all software has bugs and and the complexity continues to increase there will be more bugs and how long they hang around will increase too.

So again the grass isn't always greener. its still software and all software has bugs.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post
So again the grass isn't always greener. its still software and all software has bugs.
Agreed.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM

I tried to do a serious mix on Logic 8 and couldn't even get effects routing to work reliably. My outboard reverb sends were glitchy and dropping out all over the place. Unbelievable.

Wave Burner couldn't even burn a CD properly.

Yes I know a helluva lot about debugging software. Obviously more than they do.

One would hope L9 has grown a brain.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
I tried to do a serious mix on Logic 8 and couldn't even get effects routing to work reliably. My outboard reverb sends were glitchy and dropping out all over the place. Unbelievable.

Wave Burner couldn't even burn a CD properly.

Yes I know a helluva lot about debugging software. Obviously more than they do.

One would hope L9 has grown a brain.
For once I have to agree with Pepper, I too have used Logic and couldn't work out what the fuss is all about, constant freeezing and out of resource issues. Today's release gives a whole new meaning to Eye Candy and it looks like Digi have them thinking, most of the new features are already in PT.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
For once I have to agree with Pepper, I too have used Logic and couldn't work out what the fuss is all about, constant freeezing and out of resource issues.
That explains everything. I obviously have a polar opposite system because that's what happens in PT for me whilst the exact same project in LP barely registers on the CPU meters.

Quote:
Today's release gives a whole new meaning to Eye Candy and it looks like Digi have them thinking, most of the new features are already in PT.
(Unfortunately) nothing much has changed aesthetically so I am not sure what your "eye candy" statement means.

I don't think Digi have Apple "thinking". Apple took an already comprehensive product with ADC, track freeze and unrestricted track count then slashed the price, bundled all the instruments and jam packs, included Soundtrack, Mainstage and Waveburner, etc, included a full printed manual set and removed the dongle. What has happened with the latest additions is they resolved a weakness in their product and copied what they liked in a competitors product just like when Digi emulated the GUI layout of Garageband. And it's not restricted to copying PT features - bounce in place, convert to sampler track and improvements to their (included) convolution reverb and (included) fully featured guitar amp sim for example, not to mention all the Mainstage developments.

Logic Pro always was the natural choice for Mac users who worked predominantly in MIDI but now it looks like the most cost effective and comprehensive product for audio people too.

But each to his own as they say.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacintyre View Post
But each to his own as they say.
Quite!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote: