Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-29-2017, 06:50 AM

Default Unaccountable distortion

Well I’ve got a new hair-puller. Night before last we finished up (I thought) a project. Mixed, fully edited, bounced. Last night the usual “can we change one little thing?” Sure, I sez.
So after mics are set up, new track added, input routed, etc. the track is armed and I get ready to record. Incredible distortion from previously recorded tracks ensues.
Now keep in mind that the computer had not been turned on between the sessions. Nothing else had even been played.
The distortion, from all tracks, only appears when the record button is armed and standing by- I don’t need to press record to get this, just arm a track- it makes no difference which track. Restarted Pro Tools, re-booted: no difference.
Since this piece was already mixed, panned, eq’d, reverbed, etc- like I said, finished- we already had a significant time investment, and were looking at losing that night’s session as well.
So what I did was start a new project and imported the relevant tracks that had been consolidated back to zero so we could get something meaningful accomplished. I then consolidated those tracks back to zero and imported our new session tracks back into the original project file.
It being “finished” with levels, pans, eq, comp, reverb, etc etc we didn’t have to reinvent THAT wheel. Since we were not now recording in that project file, the distortion did not appear.
It all worked out in the end, and we only lost about 45 minutes.
The exercise “save copy as..” did not work- it copied the glitches (source of distortion) of the project file.
So what happened? This being an in-house production, I only looked bad with the artist- instead of a paying client.
Did something unaccountable go haywire in the routing options, which I re-set to defaults?
It would be nice to not encounter this again.