Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Default PT 8.0.3 - Altering Display Resolution Crashes ProTools

Hi,

on 3 different Computers, while PT is running and via system preferences altering screen resolution, PT will crash after switching a few times.

After the crash I have to restart the Mac as PT states that it cannot find any connected hardware.

I like switching screen resolution. These days it seems that Plug in manufacturers believe they make plugs for an iPhone instead of 30" cinema display.

The biggest joke in the whole PT environment is the SIZE of the plug-ins.
With all that screen estate we have nowadays why ON EARTH do the vendors make their plug in user interfaces so petty small. Beats me although it should be beating them.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Default Re: PT 8.0.3 - Altering Display Resolution Crashes ProTools

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
With all that screen estate we have nowadays why ON EARTH do the vendors make their plug in user interfaces so petty small. Beats me although it should be beating them.
While I positively hate the Native Instruments school of Interface design, more often than not I feel the exact opposite way when it comes to plug-in design within ProTools. A lot of them actually waste precious screen real-estate — a fairly recent and positively unwelcome trend.

Large (30" and above) and/or multiple displays aren’t always a practical solution, so remaining mindful of single-screen setups is a good thing. Just don’t go NI on us.

My two cents.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM

I too think most are just way too big these days.

try using the mac zoom command instead of switching res all the time
Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Command-option-8 allows you to zoom the screen, which can be helpful. Command+ will zoom in steps, and Control+scroll with KTB or MM will zoom you in real far - as long as they're not de-activated in Universal System Preferences. I use it all the time. Changing resolutions can cause certain apps to fail. Zoom in and then back out - real quick. And sometimes the 22 APple Display isn't enough - there's a 46" TV sitting off to the side as the 'other' monitor. Now, if only the mirror function worked well on the 1680x1050 22" ACD and a 44" or the 46" Samsung 1900x1600 TV!!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

The biggest joke in the whole PT environment is the SIZE of the plug-ins.
Hi,

Some are finally giving options to customize plugin size! melodyne, Massey HR meter, Waves Dorrough meters etc

And quite a few give you the option to view certain parameters! brainworx digital, Metric Halo channelstrip, NI Kontakt, etc, all have the ability to switch views

I think variable plugin windows will arrive soon. i think the new Adobe air technology might be the key, but i'm no expert.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 AM

my 2p's worth (is that 3.5 cents or so?)...

Without wanting to hijack the thread (too much)I would love it if you could have dynamics plugs just showing gain reduction - but then I still miss my AMS logic desks on that front.......
Or the ability to turn eq graphs off, visual knobs and my ears work well for me!

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 01-11-2010, 04:16 AM

forgot to mention -here's hoping that one of those frightfully nice chaps from Sonnox is listening..........

TTFN

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com