Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Default VirtualKaty 6 vs. Ediload and Conformalizer

I've read some past threads about reconform software and have noted the recommendations for Ediload and Conformalizer. What my search of the DUC didn't turn up was any discussion of VirtualKaty. Is there a reason for that? Is there some inherent advantage to the others?

I discovered I have an old license for VK Conform which means I can get an upgrade to VK6 for the same price as Conformalizer -- USD$500. What I don't know is whether I'm better off doing that or buying a new Conformalizer license.

Has anyone here used both or done more in-depth comparison? I'm new to using an automated approach to conforming picture changes so I'm not well equipped to evaluate the relative merits based on descriptions on web sites.

Insights and/or recommendations are welcome and gratefully received.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Re: VirtualKaty 6 vs. Ediload and Conformalizer

Not used VK, but it doesn’t feature very much these days. I use conformalizer, which has some very natty features (like conform using a comparison with the pictures when you have no EDL at all )and is updated regularly.
One of my friends uses Ediload and swears by it.
I think either will serve you well. I wouldn’t buy VK myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 PM

VK was the big deal years and years ago.

And to a degree it was/is still useful in large productions that are centralized (for all its features -- not just conforming.)

But today's workflow (de-centralized) it's really not. Conformalizer and Ediload are better suited and the lower price point helps.

VK's site/platform model is a bit of a dinosaur like how once upon a time, Media Composer was treated that way (but now people have their own edit setups, etc.)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM

I used VK up until version 4. Their pricing structure really got to me because every version upgrade was quite expensive and instead of dishing out another USD500 on a version upgrade (to work with the latest PT version) I tried out Conformalizer then and went for it instead for the same price. It has many more features as compared to VK.

I think Conformalizer and EdiLoad are perfect companion products - yes you could do everything with Ediload but I like to build sessions with it and use Conformalizer for the recuts. Oh and for small length projects with bad deliverables (commercials/short projects) -the video compare option is just incredible.

What do I miss about VK? Just one thing right now - the source reel filter option.

Ayush
Old 06-10-2018, 02:49 PM
The Cargo Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush Ahuja View Post
What do I miss about VK? Just one thing right now - the source reel filter option.
Not sure exactly what that feature is, but Conformalizer does have a couple of clip name/source name filtering tricks. Have a look at the setup page for details.

Justin
Old 06-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Like Justin, I'm not sure what this feature in VK does, but happy to look at modifying or adding a feature to EdiLoad that isn't already there. Is this specifically used while comparing lists? As you probably know EdiLoad can filter out events containing specific reels during load into the main window, and once loaded, the events can be displayed by Roll Name using the 'Filter By Roll' list.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 06-10-2018, 10:16 PM

Hi Mark and Justin,

Thanks for your replies.

The source reel filter would ignore certain lines of the EDL depending on the source reel. The default was set to "AX BL" so anything with these sources would be ignored. During the course of a project, I would usually add things like BEEP and other useless video clips to this filter so that I wouldn't need to manually clean up the edls. This field also supported REGEX so you could build some very complex filters as well (Im not a fan of REGEX though). The whole intention of using these filters is to have as less cuts as possible which really helps at the end when you're cutting giant sessions at the mix.

Mark - it is very possible to do this in Ediload - but I wish there was a way to set it as a filter field rather than have to to do this everytime I load a new edl. For example my default audio edl filter would be to only show clips with "DAY" in the field as all the audio footage that needs to be conformed has that in the tape name.

Justin - will have a look at the setup page to see if I've missed something.

Thanks,

Ayush

V5V - Sorry If I've hijacked this post.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Mark - it is very possible to do this in Ediload - but I wish there was a way to set it as a filter field rather than have to to do this everytime I load a new edl. For example my default audio edl filter would be to only show clips with "DAY" in the field as all the audio footage that needs to be conformed has that in the tape name.
Okay I'll look at adding filter fields to the EDL load settings of the main window (for conforms) and the compare window for comparing EDLs for re-conforms. EDL loads for the compare window automatically remove events with BL, AX and AUX Roll Names, but I get your point that it would be handy to add extra roll names here.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Thank you Mark!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the helpful and informative responses! I appreciate them.