Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Default 'Intelligent Harmonizer', technically Feasible?

I would like to put out a question to the dev guys.

Now Chris T., theChimp, Hiro or other, I keep on babbling on about an "Intelligent Harmonizer" and put the idea on IdeaScale without even bothering to ask if the idea is even possible w/ current hardware.

So, to avoid ending up disappointed 'if' and/or 'when' we get another Xpansion Pack, is it technically feasible to get any sort of Harmonizer working with 11R? I am asking because their doesn't seem to be any AIR plug-in that does 'Intelligent' shifting and I am guessing that trying to do so would eat-up a lot of resources/memory or might be too much number crunching for the TI DSP's to handle.

I just don't want to keep on running off at the mouth if it can't happen, that's not fair to anyone.

If it is not possible, it's no biggie, I would probably run off and buy me an Eventide stompy, HarmonyMan or PS-6 which ever my budget will allow .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Re: 'Intelligent Harmonizer', technically Feasible?

I can't speak on their behalf, but I really think that this is one of the more complex algorithms out there in order to pull it off. I think that your question about the DSP power is probably going to be the limiting factor as well as having to write the code basically from scratch...that's probably a lot of work for one effect and to be honest it may not be a big deal to many so the payoff may be minimal in their eyes.

It's a great question though.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 AM

Judging by what's currently implemented in the 11R, I would figure if they can't do it right they'd probably rather not do it at all. I would tend to agree, it's very frustrating to buy a modeler that has intelligent pitch shifting on specs but doesn't work like it's supposed to like the Digitech RP1000. OTOH I think it wouldn't hurt to have a regular pitch shift/detune, which AFAIK is a lot simpler to develop.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Judging by what's currently implemented in the 11R, I would figure if they can't do it right they'd probably rather not do it at all. I would tend to agree, it's very frustrating to buy a modeler that has intelligent pitch shifting on specs but doesn't work like it's supposed to like the Digitech RP1000. OTOH I think it wouldn't hurt to have a regular pitch shift/detune, which AFAIK is a lot simpler to develop.
You've raised a good point there, if it can't be done well, then it shouldn't be implemented, I can always go another option. I would still like to know if it's feasible though. But if it can't be done then I can live with that. Although I do feel that a pitch/detune should definitely should make an appearance.

And "Random Dude" you have made a good point too. I think the Idea on IdeaScale would need to go through the roof, before Avid would 'really' consider it - and it didn't, only 60+ Agreed votes. And I think that most people that voted on the Intelligent Harmony idea also voted on the Eventide "PitchFactor" idea!

Although, I think if the 11R dev team could pull it off then it certainly would narrow the gap to another companies product .

Anyway, the "PitchFactor" stompy is becoming a very attractive option.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 AM

it would be cool if it was technically possibly, it has to work as intended, say how some dedicated units work.

imho, the pitchfactor isn't the end all be all in that game - for a lot of things i take the harmonyman or the exh pog/hogs. for my limited use i'm on my way back to a harmonyman again. i use 3. up and down (major and minor), one and two octaves down. 6th up (major and minor), 5th plus octave up. this with the harmony man, i then can turn off one of the harmonies if need. a bit "messy" but its the best solution for me, given the harmonymans 4 memory slots.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 AM

Interesting.....i have been on my fence for an external harmonizer for so long, will prolly jump onto one of them if its not technically possible with the 11R..
Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofus View Post
imho, the pitchfactor isn't the end all be all in that game - for a lot of things i take the harmonyman or the exh pog/hogs. for my limited use i'm on my way back to a harmonyman again. i use 3. up and down (major and minor), one and two octaves down. 6th up (major and minor), 5th plus octave up. this with the harmony man, i then can turn off one of the harmonies if need. a bit "messy" but its the best solution for me, given the harmonymans 4 memory slots.
Yes, I agree with you about the HarmonyMan2, but, where I live you can't get one for life nor money. The EvenTide stompy's are available down this aways, though, a little on the expensive side, $549 AU ($575 US).

And in the idea on IdeaScale, it said modelling based on the HarmonyMan and/or PS-6 and/or PitchFactor, so, it is not tied to the one product in particular. There is a separate idea completely for modelling based solely on the PitchFactor.

So, no response from the dev guys? Please, please, pretty please. C'mon put me out of my misery - one way or the other.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
So, no response from the dev guys? Please, please, pretty please. C'mon put me out of my misery - one way or the other.
Unfortunately, I do not think that this is the type of question that they WILL answer. I don't think that they want to advertise or acknowledge any shortcomings or limitations on their product, IMO.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Maybe the "12" rack will have it?

Seriously though, hopefully it will be something that they look into at some point. This far though, I am so happy with my setup.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Avid

Yup, a harmonizer is definitely technically feasible.