Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-02-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Re: TG12413 Limiter substitute?

I still have the TG12413, TG12414 and RS124 AU pluigins. I "resurrected" them using 32 Lives, so I can still use them.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 PM

Sorry, should have added that I patch them using Blue Cat's Patchwork.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Sorry, should have added that I patch them using Blue Cat's Patchwork.
I hate that workaround, thus, I never use it. So if there isn't a native AAX available, I consider that plugin lost.

It's a shame Avid did the HDX thing like they did (sorry Avid for saying this) but because people were so used to TDM they should have delivered a SDK and a free HDX card for anyone wanting to port a TDM/RTAS plug to AAX world. And then give support in case they face trouble. Lastly, they should have had HDX pricing the way it is now IN THE BEGINNING, to get more people onboard. The ratio of TDM users versus HDX users is still not good, but with that said I don't have Avid's numbers, only word of mouth from people I'm talking with.

AAX-DSP is great and if history repeats itself, we'll see a HDX-ACCEL or whatever shortly. Original HD hardware was introduced in 2002, then Accel cards in 2003, and lastly PCI-e Accel cards in 2006. So now that we know HDX was introduced in 2011 and we finally have a solid platform (macOS10.12.1 & PT 12.6.1) to build on, and current HDX cards are discounted -- anyone can guess their next card is right around the corner. [Disclaimer, I have zero knowledge about this, everything here is pure speculation]

Saddest thing is the way Avid handled this TDM-->AAX-DSP transition alienated many valued 3rd party vendors such as Waves, TC Electronic, Serato and many more. And the vendors that want to keep supporting Avid DSP have been struggling with their releases, barring Sonnox which had their act together like "day one" or something, very soon anyway.

Okay, end ranting. I expected much much more from this TDM --> AAX-DSP thing and so far it hasn't realised so I'm at HDN currently. Those trusty old TDM rigs are still running great so I kind of have no complaints. Just that I won't be buying the current HDX platform as it is today.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just that I won't be buying the current HDX platform as it is today.
I think that about sums it up. Personally I went native a long time ago and there have been plenty of replacements for the TDM only plugs I used to use. Even the UAD hardware and plugins are looking expensive in today's market. They have their users tied into their hardware for a good while which was a smart move but it won't last forever. A good many of the third party plugins are available to buy at half the cost or less for native and one doesn't have to buy the expensive DSP to run them on. Sounds like history repeating itself

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM

It's not an ideal situation, to have to workaround, but BC Patchwork does the job really well. I have resurrected so many excellent plugins that I still use frequently.

Quote:
I hate that workaround, thus, I never use it. So if there isn't a native AAX available, I consider that plugin lost.

It's a shame Avid did the HDX thing like they did (sorry Avid for saying this) but because people were so used to TDM they should have delivered a SDK and a free HDX card for anyone wanting to port a TDM/RTAS plug to AAX world. And then give support in case they face trouble. Lastly, they should have had HDX pricing the way it is now IN THE BEGINNING, to get more people onboard. The ratio of TDM users versus HDX users is still not good, but with that said I don't have Avid's numbers, only word of mouth from people I'm talking with.

AAX-DSP is great and if history repeats itself, we'll see a HDX-ACCEL or whatever shortly. Original HD hardware was introduced in 2002, then Accel cards in 2003, and lastly PCI-e Accel cards in 2006. So now that we know HDX was introduced in 2011 and we finally have a solid platform (macOS10.12.1 & PT 12.6.1) to build on, and current HDX cards are discounted -- anyone can guess their next card is right around the corner. [Disclaimer, I have zero knowledge about this, everything here is pure speculation]

Saddest thing is the way Avid handled this TDM-->AAX-DSP transition alienated many valued 3rd party vendors such as Waves, TC Electronic, Serato and many more. And the vendors that want to keep supporting Avid DSP have been struggling with their releases, barring Sonnox which had their act together like "day one" or something, very soon anyway.

Okay, end ranting. I expected much much more from this TDM --> AAX-DSP thing and so far it hasn't realised so I'm at HDN currently. Those trusty old TDM rigs are still running great so I kind of have no complaints. Just that I won't be buying the current HDX platform as it is today.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
It's not an ideal situation, to have to workaround, but BC Patchwork does the job really well. I have resurrected so many excellent plugins that I still use frequently.
Have you used the combo on NI's B4II? If so how's that working out?

QAPLA!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 AM

The tonewheel?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
...because people were so used to TDM they should have delivered a SDK and a free HDX card for anyone wanting to port a TDM/RTAS plug to AAX world. And then give support in case they face trouble...
My understanding is that Avid did exactly this however a lot of developers chose to go with third party SDKs that would compile their existing native code to the two flavors of VST and Audio Units in addition to AAX native. TDM was a necessity and TDM plug-ins sold for a lot more money than people expect to spend today.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The tonewheel?
Yes - the Hammond B3 emulation NI put out - B4II. If you have B4II how's the combo of 32Lives and Patchwork working out for you? Does B4II run okay in all it's aspects?

QAPLA!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yes - the Hammond B3 emulation NI put out - B4II. If you have B4II how's the combo of 32Lives and Patchwork working out for you? Does B4II run okay in all it's aspects?
Oh, got you. No I don't have it. I use NI's Vintage Organs (2) which I think was seen as the replacement for the B4II.