Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: RNP + Distressor or Voicemaster Pro

I have the Distressor and highly recommend it. I haven't used the VoiceMaster Pro, but the compressor in the original Voicemaster (which I did own for several years) wasn't nearly as transparent and versatile as the Distressor. I also didn't like the mic pre in the orig. VM all that much, kinda thin and tinny. I've never used a RNP. Another suggestion, though, is the Universal Audio 2176 tube mic pre+1176 compressor. I've used that for several different voices and found it remarkably easy to get great vocal sounds.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:35 PM

Distressor, it sounds great on any application.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:34 PM

I'd agree that the RNP/Distressor combination would be considered "better" for the most part as well, but considering it's three or four times the price of the Focusrite that's not surprising. I do, however, think that the Focusrite is pretty amazing for the money...the de-esser alone is worth the price of the box if you ask me. I guess the preamp is a matter of tase...I have one of the Platinum boxes (different box, same preamp) and it's a nice preamp as far as relatively neutral ones are concerned. The Voicemaster Pro does a lot, but I don't think any of it's "processors" (EQ, compressor, vintage harmonics etc) are "throwaways"...even though you may not use each on every vocalist they're certainly useful, and it provides a huge variety of options. I was a little skeptical when I read about everything it could do, but when I got my hands on one I was pleasantly surprised.

-Duardo
Old 06-30-2003, 06:23 PM

Dunno if this is a silly suggestion, but have you considered getting two RNCs? That'll tame just about ANY dynamics a vocalist would normally give out, especially if both are in SuperNice Mode. AND it would set you back about US$400 instead of the Distressor's US$1400 or whatever it costs.

But I would agree - a Distressor is a really awesome piece of gear.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:00 AM

Default RNP + Distressor or Voicemaster Pro

Which would be a better more versatile front end for a pretty dynamic vocalist?

I think I already know the answer is the RNP + Distressor, but I want to know will I get as much versatility out of it as the VM Pro and as easily. Every song I sing completely different and I want the setup that will get me the sounds and dynamics I need before going into the Digi001.

Is it worth the extra $1500 to save and get the distressor instead of buying the VM Pro? I could also go RNP + RNC instead, but I have heard the distressor is a bad boy.

Also, is the RNP a good choice for a mic pre with the distressor?

Also, Can the RNP be used in a live setting?