Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2002, 06:36 PM

Default Native Alternatives..

I've been a ProTools TDM user for four years now, and although I'm never completely satisfied it serves me well. I've got a toolbox setup at home, and now that LE is going 32 tracks it's tempting to expand on a wish of mine - to do some of the less demanding work at home. However there's a few areas that I'm concerned with and if anyone has opinions about it, feel free to share.

1) The number of tracks - not much to say here apart from that many projects might not fit in 32 tracks, never mind 24. Don't get me wrong, I like simple things myself, but some people like to throw 50+ channel mixes at you (which doesn't necesarily imply a budget that allows for the studio where I usually work). I guess I could do submixes, and I might, but it's less than ideal. Anyways, this paragraph is more of a call to digi to unleash the horsepower already.

2) Considering the alternatives (Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase (god forbid)) how does the dsp processing you get from RTAS in LE compare to VST of Logic and Cubase and to MAS in DP?) How do they compare quality-wise? And what about plug-in count? How do the alternatives compare?

3) Man, the day AmpFarm (exactly as it is thank you!) becomes avaliable in Native Format i will kiss the ground and thank the stars. What GuitarAmp plugs are avaliable on VST and MAS and what are they like?

Well, if you wanna scribble, go ahead.

Thx,

Ben
Old 07-29-2002, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Native Alternatives..

Every so often I go around this merry go round once again and seem to conclude that the LE is OK if they can keep the session compatibility going.

I've tried the others and even though they have much to offer I still just want a Native PT. So that means Mbox or 001.

So far I can deal with sub-mixing and track import to get me there.

I am now going to have another look at Logic, as it currently has DAE support and now with the Apple buy up it could, in a year or so, be a real contender. It could be handy to have a foot in the door, if it does sweep in like FCP did on video. As an FCP user they may even be advantages of using the new Emagic/Apple product with FCP.

To sum up ,
right now I am happy with the mix of products I am using. MixPlus(TDM) and PT LE 001 ( two off). I am sitting back and whatching before I go to HD or even 32 trk LE. Soon the up-grade to these products may force me to move from OS8.6 and this may have a cascade effect on everything.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by [Benjamin]:

3) Man, the day AmpFarm (exactly as it is thank you!) becomes avaliable in Native Format i will kiss the ground and thank the stars. What GuitarAmp plugs are avaliable on VST and MAS and what are they like?

Ben
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check this out...mmmmm!

Amplitube

Cheers
New Zealand
Old 07-31-2002, 11:20 AM

It seems like the LE system would have a substantial advantage for you.

Although the software learning curve is a good argument, I think the investment in RTAS plun-ins and session compatability are equally valid. The investment you would put into RTAS plug-ins could easily carry over to your TDM system.