How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 08:09 AM

Default General discussion on PlugIn TDM vs. RTAS

Hi all,

I have something to complain about which really starts to upset me.
Some time ago I invested a lot of money for my ProTools HD 3 system inluding some interfaces.
Most of my work is now mainly music creation and rather rarely multi-track music recording.

Most of the time I must use RTAS Virtual Instrument Plug-Ins, for example Miroslav, SampleTank or Strike and Xpand etc...
This is giving me a very high load on the host machine, my G5 PowerPC Dual Core 2.5GHz, whereas the 2 ProTools DSP cards are almost unused.
I very often receive messages that I am low on CPU power.

That is very frustrating when you now that you have a 13000$ gear in your computer.
I also feel treated unfair compared to the M-Powered and LE users who now have almost the same systems than me for a lot less money.

Well, I would like to remind the developers of the fact that there is a lot of DSP power available in HD cards, so please use them. I know that also Sampler Plug-Ins can be implemented on DSPs.
It is not just a matter of memory (RAM).
Why not using something like dynamic streaming technology?

Someone here sharing my thoughts?

Kindest regards,

Carsten
Old 01-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: General discussion on PlugIn TDM vs. RTAS

I would sell the system if I were you. I like the Indigo but the only reason why it was ported as a TDM plug is that the virus and indigo hardware synths use the same motorola dsp chips. And that's why it was also ported to powercore.