Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 05:58 AM

Default New G5s are here

http://www.apple.com/powermac/
Old 04-27-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: New G5s are here

people are bitching that they are lame but for PT users (especially ones like me that are still on a Dual 500) i like it. it'll probably be the last PCI-X machine and will be (hopefully) an easy approval for Digi to do. what i want to know is if they will REQUIRE tiger to boot. it might be 2 months or more til there a CS release to support tiger and i'd like to be able to run 6.9 on 10.3.9 in the meantime. i got 4.5 years out of my G4 and i'd like to get a G5 and get 3-4 years out of that with my non accel HD3 rig.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 AM

Cant they give us just one more friggin pci slot?! geesh!

Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.9.5
ProTools 12.7.1.733
Mbox2 PT 10.2

Scott Whittier
Whittier Creative
http://www.madmix.com/
www.voice123.com/scottwhittier
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM

actually I wish they would give us a PCI PORT AND and no PCI slots. Make the CPUs optionally rackmountable (not XServes but standard G5s in same config as desktop towers and then market an apple branded PCI slot box in various sizes at reasonable prices. Then they could lower the price of the basic CPU and you would get whatever PCI box fit your needs. This would be the best way to support the, quite frankly, minority of people out there with multiple PCI slot needs. And it would open the door to low cost CPUS with top power that could operate as distributed processor machines. Think about it, if you could buy a G5 dual processor 2.7 gig rack box for $2500 would this be cheaper than a HD Accell Card? So you need three cards, buy three G5s.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:04 AM

Okay, any guesses on how long before Digi will endorse compatibility with Tiger and the 2.7?

What is the average wait-time for them to do so when a major OS upgrade comes out with Apple? ie: anyone remember how long it was before they were approving Panther?

I'm in the middle of an upgrade unfortunately. I've bought the HD2 equipment (waiting on delivery), I have the Mojo, but I was waiting (for what reason, I don't know) for purchasing the G5. Now I can't buy a new G5 2.5 (well, maybe I can find one at an Apple Store somewhere) without it being shipped with Tiger. And from what I hear, you will not be able to take a 2.7 down to 10.3.9 either.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 AM

I am trying to decide on which model... is there any difference in performance with Protools between PCI and PCI-X? Is there any reason to go for the model with PCI-X? If not I will just save and get the 2 ghz model when Protools is Tiger and it's plugins are Tiger compatible..

Thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Apple now has Dual 2.5 Gig machines in the "Special Deals" section of their online store for $2,299. They are qualified by Digi and I know people that are running flawlessly with them. I think they ship with 10.3.8 installed. Apple also lowered the prices of their LCD monitors.

In case anyone cares.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Her's a link with all the info about the new G5's
http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/APPL619D3DCE.htm
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM

I have been running a Dual 2.5 with great results, that $2299 deal on Apple.com is awesome, go for it !
Old 04-27-2005, 12:20 PM

This is a rather poor showing on Apple's part considering the amount of time since their last update. If nothing else, the AGP slot should have been replaced with PCI Express, no excuse.....I'm sure it's mostly to do with the upcoming Tiger release but overall, new G5s should have been put off until there's actually something new to show. Good thing Steve didn't choose a Macworld to introduce these, he would have been dodging tomatoes! The price drop on the Cinema displays is a nice thing though......