Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 PM

Default If I can purchase just one monitor....

Hey guys I have been debating on purchasing an apple display for a quite some time now and I think I am about ready to do it. The thing is there are many different models of Apple displays to choose from. The new style "looks" cooler but I like the older style because of the built in USB ports, the Power on/off switch, and the ADC connectivity (having one cable is killer). With this in mind what do you suggest? I've heard that the larger 22-23" screens might be more fatiguing to work with all day than the 20" screens, is this true? I will have my monitor about 2-2.5 feet away from me most of the time. What should I look for in terms of screen resolution, the older generations of cinema display have a little bit less but not much, will it make a difference? I am not doing post work just mainly audio so I am interested in having a screen that will give my eyes a break(no tiny print) and be a pleasure to look at for hours on end as is usually the case. Right now I have a iiyama 18" standardformat flatpanel and it works well and looks great but it would be really nice to have the widescreen. Let me know if you have any ideas for me.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: If I can purchase just one monitor....

very personal decision. i have a new 23" CD about 3 feet away and I love it. Some may look at it and think everything's too small but I like seeing 26 large faders in the mix window and 28 small in the edit window. I know this, when I first got it, it seemed huge and I thought those people buying the 30" one were crazy but now I don't know.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:22 PM

Find a 22" cinema display, 2nd generation with ADC. Time and time again it's proven to be the right size by many. You can still read it from 3+ feet away. I have tried all but the new 30" which of course is not practical in a TDM setup. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:30 PM

You won't go wrong, in my opinion, with the 22, the new or old 23, or the 30. Consider that only the new packaging designs support vesa mounts. We use vesa mounted monitors in pairs or articulating arms like these LCD arms with clean results. Your use may differ of course.

As for the notion that the 23 inch screen is hard on the eyes, I can't accept that. I spend great amounts of time working in Photoshop using the 23. It's excellent, truly!

John-
Old 12-30-2004, 05:55 PM

Allow me to add this as I hadn't looked into DVI distribution in a while. This DVI Cable is available in 10 meter lengths and the advertiser claims high performance at that length - $190. Dont know how well it supports high resolution DVI monitors like the Apple products.

But look here: Gefen now has a more afforable line of Cat 5 extenders and splitters for DVI as shown here and here. Historically, Gefen stuff is costly but it works. Pardon my excitement, but the last time I looked into this, the cost of splitting and extending DVI at my studio was several thousand dollars for the cable and distribution alone, so we're still working with VGA for audio editing. This looks promising!

John-
Old 12-30-2004, 06:12 PM

I will 2nd this frustration.. As our machine room is over 35 feet away, finding a DVI or ADC extender has been a problem.. The only solution seemed to be the multi-mode fiber extenders (way too expensive) .. I will look at the gefen stuff... As the conduit under the floor is limited on space, throwing another cat 5 cable would be a dream..

-Brad
Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 AM

30" which of course is not practical in a TDM setup

why .. this is the ultimate Pro Tools monitor and 2 of them is even better
Old 12-31-2004, 07:27 AM

Because you need a special graphics card which occupies one PCI X slot and over extends to make the next slot useless for HD.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:28 AM

supposedly ATI is coming out with a card that will drive the 30" display without taking up the slot.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Damn could this work?

I just saw this flat panel 30" LCD tv for a relatively low cost:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=10041690
and I was wondering if I could get it to work and have good results, anybody?
p.s. I want to wish the best new year to all of you. Cheers, hope it's your best year yet!