Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 AM

Default Slave ProTools to Logic Pro - separate machines

Hi

I've been struggling to get ProTools TDM (6.7) to slave properly to incoming Midi Time Code from Logic (Pro 7), running on a separate machine. Although the generic MTC reader in ProTools works ok, ProTools doesn't follow loops in Logic, which makes automation passes fiddly. Also, when PT is receiving timecode via the MTC reader and is online, it gets sloppy with incoming MIDI note data, so any Virtual Instruments hosted in PT and played from Logic, drop the odd note.

Basically, to resolve all of this, I figured I should reluctantly bite the bullet and buy a Sync IO. My question is - what would be the best way of setting things up, so that ProTools is always locked to Logic, follows loops, and sync' is as close to sample accurate as possible?

The ProTools rig is effectively just being used as a mixer, so it makes sense that it should function as slave rather than master - all my arranging work is being done in Logic, and that's where I need to set loops etc. I just need synchronization for automation of the ProTools mix, although if it were accurate enough it would free me up to bounce parts into PT where necessary.

I have two Unitor 8 MkII's on the Logic machine, which can generate LTC/VITC etc. My experience of synchornisation is so far limited mainly to MIDI based codes - MMC, MTC, MIDI Clock etc. Can anyone give me some basic advice on the best and most accurate way to set things up as decribed?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jules

PS. The ProTools Machine is actually PC, but I figure this is effectively a cross-platform issue.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Slave ProTools to Logic Pro - separate machines

Try to send MMC from Logic to ProTools ( Synchronisation/Midi/ send MMC in Logic)
and enable "Control of Protools via MMC" in Peripherals/ProTools.

This works for me.
Two Macs ( Protools on OS9/ Logic on X ) ..hope this helps ...
Old 12-22-2004, 01:34 AM

Hi T-Low - thanks for your help.

Are you using the Generic MTC Reader for this or somehow receiving MMC via the Sync IO? Also, does ProTools follow loops in Logic if it is set up this way? I'll give it a try today, but in the past have only been able to get it to work with MTC and mot MMC.

Thanks again

Jules
Old 12-22-2004, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Also, does ProTools follow loops in Logic if it is set up this way?
I have 2 macs. A Logic - PT combo. Syncing it via MTC. No way that PT can follow loops nor Logic either. It can't be done.

-Robert
Old 12-22-2004, 03:11 AM

Quote:
I have 2 macs. A Logic - PT combo. Syncing it via MTC. No way that PT can follow loops nor Logic either. It can't be done.

-Robert
Thanks Robert. Sounds like I'll have to forgoe the looping.

Are you using the Generic MTC Reader or Sync IO for synchronization? Are you finding it to be fairly close to sample accurate sync', and does it lock up quickly when you hit go in Logic?

At this stage I could do with deciding whether I'll get any real benefit from buying a Sync IO, if all I'm using is MTC.

Thanks again for your help.

Jules
Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 AM

Waste of money buying the Sync IO if you're just gonna use the MTC function. Any midi interface would do.

MTC is not the tightest thing I've came across so to say. But for me i pleasable, not sample accurate but not too bad either.

I've tried to use both Logic and PT as slaves. Longer lock up times, a little bit more "sluggish" when PT is the slave. It has worked best when PT is the master.

-Robert
Old 12-22-2004, 08:51 AM

Ok - thanks Robert.

So basically, the only way to sync Logic and ProTools on separate machines is via MTC (or possibly MMC), which does not require or benefit in any way from using a Sync IO (?). Essentially, what I'm doing now, even though it's not great, is seemingly the best there is.

Oh well - thanks to one and all for the help. Guess I won't be buying that Sync IO after all, as this is generally the only sync scenario I need to deal with.

Jules
Old 12-22-2004, 09:57 AM

Hi Jules,
what do you exactly mean by " follow loop " ? . Set a cycle in Logic and sync to Protools ?

Okay, here is my setup:
ProTools: create 2 devices in OMS ,
Port 1 Midi out and Port 2 Midi In ( okay, this is OS 9 on a mac )
Session setup window: send MTC to port 1
- connect Midiinterface out to Logic Midi Interface in

In Logic: Sync Mode MTC
hit the sync Button , Logic follows ProTools

In Logic: Send MMC
Midiinterface out to ProTools Midiinterface in ( Port2 )
enable " Control of ProTools via MMC " Peripherals

I´m sure some settings are missing in this description,
but with this setup i can start/stop from both Macs
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 AM

Best way by far is to record word locked time code on an audio track in Logic. Slave the clocks and chase ProTools with Sync i/o.

STeve
Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Jules,
what do you exactly mean by " follow loop " ? . Set a cycle in Logic and sync to Protools ?
Hi T-Low - yes, I mean get ProTools to sync to Logic, even if Logic is looping. I find this is by far the easiest way of doing complex automation passes on multiple channels, and should be possible - I know other devices which will follow loops when slaved.

Quote:
Okay, here is my setup:
ProTools: create 2 devices in OMS ,
Port 1 Midi out and Port 2 Midi In ( okay, this is OS 9 on a mac )
Session setup window: send MTC to port 1
- connect Midiinterface out to Logic Midi Interface in

In Logic: Sync Mode MTC
hit the sync Button , Logic follows ProTools

In Logic: Send MMC
Midiinterface out to ProTools Midiinterface in ( Port2 )
enable " Control of ProTools via MMC " Peripherals

I've had ProTools sync'ing to Logic using MTC. When I enable MMC in Logic, it refuses to play, but perhaps I need to fiddle with settings more.

Are you finding this setup to be tight (close to sample accurate), and do you not find that MIDI timing in ProTools suffers when it's slaving to MTC with the Generic MTC Reader (I presume you're using the Generic MTC Reader) and online?

Thanks hugely for your help.

Jules