Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Mix system on Laptop...

Are you sure? It seems that the MIX card will NOT work with G5 even with Magma expander. Everything I have read on the forums seems to say it wont work. Do you or anyone else know of any other newer info? Curious..I'd like to get a G5 too, but Im not going to upgrade my Mix card to do it.

thanks,
soul

(Moving to a G5 next month, keeping MIX, have Magma chassis, but would rather sell my Quicksilver and PowerBook and get a current powerBook - but only if MIX works close to as well.)
Old 12-21-2004, 04:44 PM

You're right, it won't work on a G5, even in a Magma chassis.

I have to keep the MIX system on a separate machine; the question is whether a 1.25 or whatever G4 PowerBook will be close to the dual gig Quicksilver I have now. It would be more useful to me to sell the Quicksilver and my G4/500-upgraded PowerBook and buy a new PowerBook that's up to running enough samples to compose with when I'm travelling.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:50 AM

My guess is CPU intensive things like softsynths would benifit from the extra processor, but you are stuck at 6.4.1 for a PT version. You won't get all the groovy new features (color coding tracks, a less functional beat detective ADC, etc) of 6.7 but you will have a pretty solid system, and a portable one at that. My Magma case is getting a 400 watt FANLESS power supply and I am replacing the front fans with much quieter ones. That should hush it down real good. Then I just have to put the hard drives inside the chassis and I'm all set! (still have FW drives external).

merry christmas
Old 12-22-2004, 02:49 PM

Gee Ray, thanks for rubbing it in.

The problem is that there's nothing between 002 and HD. Since nobody is going to pay me more money because I have an HD system, I decided - after much ongoing agony - that I just can't justify the expense. But I certainly don't want to give up PT after using it for 10 years, so I'm keeping the MIX rig on a separate machine.

My own guesses about the performance are as useful as anyone else's, so I suppose I just need to borrow a PowerBook and see how well it does.

I already have the Magma chassis with quiet fans, by the way, and PT runs fine on my G4-upgraded Pismo PowerBook. But I only use it for recording; I do everything else on the desktop machine.