Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Default (Heresy) Pro Tools Hardware Downgrade

Hi Guys. Long time reader, first post in years (actually had to create a new account ). I’ve been looking for threads on this subject, but just decided to post after not finding much. I’m here because I wonder if any of you have actually ‘downgraded’ your PT rig? Currently, I’m running an HDX, HD I/O 16x16, and C24. A few years ago when I was doing more tracking, and had a big room, this system made sense. Now that I’m doing mostly vocal recording, in the box production, and haven’t tracked more than 6 channels at at time in probably 4 years, it’s absolute overkill, especially because it seems with every UAD plug I discover, it's one less AAX DSP plug I'm using. I also am finding the C24 to almost be a hindrance in my current workflow because it’s so big in my new room. Lastly, I'm not thrilled with paying out the arse to keep my system that I already paid out the arse for current, especially when I’m barely using its capabilities, and with a lot of the new soft synths coming out, I need to keep my system mildly current (I'm not a habitual updater--updates give me ulcers).

Long story short, against every gear whore instinct in my body, I’m considering dumping the whole system for a UA Apollo 8P, Slate Raven MTi2, and going to native Pro Tools. The only thing I can think of that I’ll miss, is I’ve grown accustomed to zero latency tracking in the DAW without having to run some other DSP mixer on top of it, but I realize that pretty much any modern computer can give you pretty close to zero latency--it's not 2000 anymore. I’ll also miss that Pro Tools HD splash screen that tells me I’m playing with the big boys (but that’s kind of a dumb reason). I remember the first time I saw that screen when I upgraded to HD back in 2005. It was an incredible feeling of accomplishment.

Has anyone here gone this route, and do you have any regrets?