Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM

Hey Greg - I actually would have email u but I Accidentally deleted your email so anyway here it is…

While that's not a technically accurate description of double block and bleed the manual - was the one that said to leave it connected to the wall and turn off the power switch

So we put an extra switch in line on the power strip then you turn off the power switch and then you do like the manual said and leave it connected

-

Well I've never installed card like that but.....- If the manual said to do it - it's kind of a Catch-22 because of the warranty

And speaking of the OSHA trainer having his butt kicked I'm sure you've never met an electrician that has wired a circuit while it was hot have you ?

Probably not in the manuals but it happens all the time - and they live to tell about it.........
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Dangerous PCIe Installation requires Power Connected to Socket????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yep it's pretty simple really. You want to discharge any electricity before working inside the computer. You do this by touching something grounded. In this case it's the PC case which is grounded through the power supply which is grounded through the round longer pin of the electric cord (assuming a US power cord) going into the wall socket.

If the switch on the power supply is off, and by all means it should always be off when doing something inside the case, no power will pass. I promise. So by leaving the computer plugged in, the case still has a path to ground should you move around and build up more static.

If its not connected you could possibly (but very unlikely) short something out if you move around and build up electricity and the touch something inside the case. Whether or not you touched the case beforehand as there is no path to ground.

The odds of you building up enough static charge to damage anything is so slim it's not funny but that's why you should leave the cable plugged in. Just in case you do manage to be really staticy.
Correct.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com