Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM

Default How much can Structure load?

I jave a 2.5 ghz G5 with 4.5 gigs of ram and Sturcture won't load any samples past 2.1 gb. Is this a limit of Sructure or my G5? If I add 4 more gigs of ram maxing out at 8 gig, will Structure load more samples?

I just purchased the Structure Symphonic Orch and I can't even get up to the horns when I use 2 articulations of each instrument.

Thanks!

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Re: How much can Structure load?

Is disk streaming on? Check under SETUP-> ENGINE.

Busch.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Is disk streaming on? Check under SETUP-> ENGINE.

Busch.
Oh yes, streaming is on, thanks for asking.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 PM

The 'Max Pre-Load Memory' is limited to 2 GB but if your Disk Streaming such an extreme pre-load would be unnecessary. Buffering can also be set at a respective patch level.

Though with Disk Streaming disabled is the sample content then limited by the Pro Tools shell?

filosofem
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The 'Max Pre-Load Memory' is limited to 2 GB but if your Disk Streaming such an extreme pre-load would be unnecessary. Buffering can also be set at a respective patch level.

Though with Disk Streaming disabled is the sample content then limited by the Pro Tools shell?

filosofem
Hi Filosofem!

I knew you would jump on this one. When I looked to see how many layers each patch was using, I noticed a horrible graphic corruption once I opened a 6 way round robin string patch. I now believe Structure is 2 gig max per instance.

Has anyone loaded more than 2 gigs in Structure?

Perhaps more than one instance of Structureis required to build my "Orchestra"? I guess I will also have to stay away from the key switch files and 6X RR files. This is a great dissapointment to me. TDM should take the weight off the CPU and allow for more performance from Structure.

Maybe the streaming button shows "on" but isn't really attached to anything?

If you start to alter the pre-buffer on a patch per patch level, PT dissapears.... Poof!

I would like to think that the new Mac Pro would solve these issues, but PT dosen't even work on Leapord...

I'm sure it is time for another Structure update!

BTW, My G5 2.5 dual has 4.5 gigs of ram, so I shouldn't hit a 2 gig limit with Structure. If I buy more ram and still have this issue, I'm goona be really mad.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Hi Rubicon

This is how I'd approach it, I'd knock back the Structure Pre-Load Memory to maybe 500 MB (in fact mines set at 200 MB reading off 10,000 RPM Raptors and I have no problems), save the Structure settings and un-instantiate Structure. Then I'd save the session and reboot. Launch Pro Tools and check the 'Optimize for Streaming Content on Audio Drives' in the Pro Tools Playback Engine settings, load the session, then re-instantiate Structure, loading the Structure settings there after.

(The disk streaming option needs to be checked first before instantiating Structure)

Now if playback wasn't accessing the HDD samples fast enough, I'd either increase the global pre-load or if I knew that only one patch contained a lot of 'used' Keyswitches I'd increase that patches pre-load buffer.

2 GB of pre-load content is a lot of data and one hell of a session. Either that or a very slow HDD.

filosofem
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Rubicon

This is how I'd approach it, I'd knock back the Structure Pre-Load Memory to maybe 500 MB (in fact mines set at 200 MB reading off 10,000 RPM Raptors and I have no problems), save the Structure settings and un-instantiate Structure. Then I'd save the session and reboot. Launch Pro Tools and check the 'Optimize for Streaming Content on Audio Drives' in the Pro Tools Playback Engine settings, load the session, then re-instantiate Structure, loading the Structure settings there after.

(The disk streaming option needs to be checked first before instantiating Structure)

Now if playback wasn't accessing the HDD samples fast enough, I'd either increase the global pre-load or if I knew that only one patch contained a lot of 'used' Keyswitches I'd increase that patches pre-load buffer.

2 GB of pre-load content is a lot of data and one hell of a session. Either that or a very slow HDD.

Great advice! It lead me to discover some very interesting things yesterday. First, a quick apology to digi about my "streaming button not connected" comment. It's very easy to get very frustrated by these things. During updating of PT software to 7.4 cs whatever, the 'Optimize for Streaming Content on Audio Drives' became re-checked. Once I unchecked it, the Total use value in the Structure Engine began to decrease before my eyes! My samples are definitely not on my PT tracks hard drive. I believe the cs update reset PT prefs. Today I will see where my system chokes in regard to the "trade off" settings. BTW, I am taking my G5 all the way to 8 gigs of ram today just to see what happens. I guess I am crazy... I envision Structure working better with all samples loaded in ram than streaming off other hard drives. if I could load all samples for a session into ram of a new mac-pro, (32gb loaded.) wouldn't it be less taxing to the system and PT than streaming? And maybe eek out a little more polyphony?

filosofem

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I envision Structure working better with all samples loaded in ram than streaming off other hard drives. if I could load all samples for a session into ram of a new mac-pro, (32gb loaded.) wouldn't it be less taxing to the system and PT than streaming?
That is a good question and something I don't know enough about to comment, maybe someone can chime in.

filosofem
Old 01-11-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
2 GB of pre-load content is a lot of data and one hell of a session.
2GB is nothing if you're working with today's libraries! You can fill that with a couple of instruments.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
2 GB of pre-load content is a lot of data and one hell of a session.
2GB is nothing if you're working with today's libraries! You can fill that with a couple of instruments.
Agreed, but I don't think the pre-load feature is for containing full instruments, just for facilitating the attacks of instruments for qucicker system response. When I upped my ram to 8 gig and turned off streaming, the pre-load buffer filled to 2 gigs, then the rest of the samples continued to fill my computer's ram. I did not seem to notice a difference in performance between streaming and all samples loaded in ram, but more experimenting is required. It's like we're still going up hill but the road isn't as steep anymore. ;-)