Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 01-06-2000, 09:15 PM

Default Things to watch out for with hard drives

I had a few problems getting my PT system up and going that I thought I would share with everyone that may help solve some problems for other people. I think I had the worst luck with this.

(1) I was running 3 - Seatgate cheetahs in a Blue and white G3 case. Big mistake. There was not enough ventilation and the hard drives would heat up and intermittently crash for no apparent reason. I finally moved the drives to a new externally cooled box and that fixed everything.......

almost.....

(2) Then 2 weeks into happily running without crashes I crashed again. I finally figured out the problem. The new power supply case that my hard drives were in had a faulty power supply and would intermittently power down and then power up. I replaced the power supply inside the box and once again I have been operating without strange crashes.

Sometimes the answers aren't something wrong with the software or setup - it's a hardware problem that's even harder to trace. I had stumped digi, atto, and seagate.

Cory Bitner
River Rock Music Ltd.
Old 01-11-2000, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Things to watch out for with hard drives

Just for your info. Yes the older Cheetahs run very hot, but the new versions run alot cooler. I have 2 of them in a B&W G3, and even after running them for 3 hours I can open the case, and touch them, and they are only warm, and the air in the case isn't hot. Plus the new ones are smaller too. I'm talking about 9.1Gb models. I've had 2 other systems with the older hotter Cheetahs, and have had to run a fan on them to keep them cool.

Ron Galbraith
[email protected]