Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Default New G4 with two Apple LCDs !

Is there anyone using new G4/933 and/or dual G4 /1G with two Apple LCDs ?

I know Gefen announced their VGA to ADC now. And the new G4/933, DUal 1G can support two monitors through their AGP cards. There're one ADC and one VGA on the new AGP card so that we have to use the Gefen ( www.gefen.com ) VGA/ADC box to hook up two APple LCDs. I'd like to know if there's anyone who already used these stuff running Protools TDM system with no problems !

Any comments are welcome !
Thanks in advance !

Regards,

Ed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 05:15 PM

Default Re: New G4 with two Apple LCDs !

I'm running a cinema display and a Sony 18" LCD in analog, it works great, you don't need the gefen box...
Quicksilver 867 with twin monitors card.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:17 PM

I'm running a cinema display and a Sony 18" LCD in analog, it works great, you don't need the geffen box...
Old 02-09-2002, 06:00 PM

Get the 933 for S P E E D of rtas!

AND for DVD burning! AND fast network speeds! AND for their new video card!

Apple specs say twin Cinema screens are
POSSIBLE!

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 03:37 AM

The Gefen VGA/ADC adaptor is not the solution for dual Cinemas anymore. The GeForce 4 is!

I've run two SGI SW1600s on my GeForce 2 MX Twinview for two months and there's a great difference in picture quality between the DVI and VGA outputs. So with two DVI ports the GeForce 4 is the perfect solution (and might even be cheaper)....
Old 02-10-2002, 08:53 AM

Dear Pasta,

I think I mislead you. I thought that I can take the new G4/933 with it's AGP card that have one ADC and one VGA on it, so that I can use one Apple's Cinema through it's ADC port and use Gefen's VGA/ADC box to connect my othe Apple 17" LCD on another VGA port from the same video card that come with G4/933. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 11:19 AM

The new nvidia card, due out in a week or so, has an ADC and a DVI connector for apple machines. So you need the Dr Bott box to go from DVi-ADC.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:40 PM

I dont know if you've noticed but there is problems with the Nvidia video cards and Pro Tools. I have the twin view card (mac)in a quicksilver 867 so I can run a cinema display and a VGA lcd. The graphics on bomb factory plug ins arent happy and also for instance, if I do group cross fades, that page isnt happy.
You can get by with switching Nvidia 2D accelorator extension off, but this slows scrolling on the edit page. I noticed Pro Tools advertising 2 Cinema diplays on their ads at Namm a month ago, so I questioned them about it, as in how.... there reply was you can't properly. I wouldn't have thought it worth buying a cinema display to run off a VGA output with converters.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:17 AM

The Video card on the newest G4/933 is AGP type and are the same as the one on the newest dual 1MHZ G4 models. I already have one Cinema and a 15" DVI Apple 15" LCD.
I'd like to know if there's anyone who'd tried using the newest G4/933 with two Apple LCD monitors for the Protools TDM system, without getting PCI buss too slow problems.
It seemed that I really don't have to waste money on it, maybe the G5 would have a better PCI buss speed and both PT HD and the monitor stuff can have the benifit. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for all of your posts !
Old 02-12-2002, 12:37 AM

The new cards like mine are not on the pci buss, they haven't been for a while now. I have the card you are on about, and theres definately a few issues with the mix setup like I said. Maybe better with HD system though.