Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 AM

Default Open Pro tools twice???

I have a new and annoying problem. About half or 3/4 of the time I have to open PT twice. The first time it looks like it's open, but the tool bar doesn't appear........just Finder (MAC) The dot underneath the icon is there but the tool bar on the top won't come open to PT. Weird. Anyone ever have that issue or know how to fix it. (I've rebooted)
Imac- Clarett 8 pre X. two dedicated SSD's.

PS. on the second try everything opens up just fine...
Old 02-12-2020, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Open Pro tools twice???

How about telling us something relevant like OS version and PT version you are using...?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
How about telling us something relevant like OS version and PT version you are using...?
Drives me barmy when someone doesn't have their OS and PT version in their profile OR their sig.. no where to be found.. then don't include it in their question just to add icing on the cake.. How are we supposed to help?

imac and clarett.. could be snow leopard and PT 8 for all we know!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Drives me barmy when someone doesn't have their OS and PT version in their profile OR their sig..
We have the Help Us Help You page in forum header, but it must be too obvious...
Old 02-12-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Drives me barmy when someone doesn't have their OS and PT version in their profile OR their sig.. no where to be found.. then don't include it in their question just to add icing on the cake.. How are we supposed to help?

imac and clarett.. could be snow leopard and PT 8 for all we know!
Frustrating. Like I always say when this happens: there's a lot of good knowledgeable people here but we're not mind readers or remote viewers. The op has everything in his profile except for the relevant info.

And it wastes time (his and ours).

QAPLA!
Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM

So sorry I didn't give the right information and thanks for pointing out the "Help Us Help You" tab. Here's what I have: iMac 27" 3.4 GH IntelCore i7 processor.
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, Start up disk is a 500 GB SSD, the audio drive is a 1T SSD internal (both) It's running High Sierra 10.13.6.
The hardware is a Focusrite Clarett 8pre X. I back up to a 1TB external hard drive at night USB (TM backup) The Clarett is a thunderbolt connection.
Pro tools version is 2019.5

This problem doesn't happen every time but very often. I'm just afraid it will turn
into a problem. So far it always works when I start it the second time. What's strange is I can open a song, hit the spacebar and it will play....but no tool bar on the top, so that's all I can do.

I do so appreciate your help. Having a resource like this is almost too good to be true. Thanks again....even if you can't help.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchipman View Post
So sorry I didn't give the right information and thanks for pointing out the "Help Us Help You" tab. Here's what I have: iMac 27" 3.4 GH IntelCore i7 processor.
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, Start up disk is a 500 GB SSD, the audio drive is a 1T SSD internal (both) It's running High Sierra 10.13.6.
The hardware is a Focusrite Clarett 8pre X. I back up to a 1TB external hard drive at night USB (TM backup) The Clarett is a thunderbolt connection.
Pro tools version is 2019.5

This problem doesn't happen every time but very often. I'm just afraid it will turn
into a problem. So far it always works when I start it the second time. What's strange is I can open a song, hit the spacebar and it will play....but no tool bar on the top, so that's all I can do.

I do so appreciate your help. Having a resource like this is almost too good to be true. Thanks again....even if you can't help.
Ok that's a decent setup.. I had that exact computer and loved it for many years till it died out of the blue and I was devastated at the time

I am guessing you might have an install and preference problem.

Run the pro tools preference cleaner which is a free app, I can get the link if you like, uninstall pro tools and all avid apps, reboot, install 2019.12 fresh.

There is no need to be on 2019.5 on high sierra, you should be on 2019.12.

Also, just to be 100% sure the clarett isn't causing some weird issue, just disconnect it and run on internal imac audio, just for a few launch tests.

You are not on Mojave so it's not security related, which was my initial first thought (granting correct privileges to PT).. so I'd go with the preference/reinstall idea first and see how you go.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:19 PM

Since these installs and unistalls have you trashed preferences and restarted everything as that usually takes care of these weird issues that pops up once in a blue moon

For Pro Tools versions 11, 12, 2018+

Close Pro Tools and launch Finder.
Click Go and select Go to Folder…
Enter ~/Library/Preferences/Avid and click Go.
Delete the Pro Tools folder.
Restart your computer and launch Pro Tools.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM

thanks I'll look into these things. Is 2019.12 and upgrade?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM

I'll give this a try! thanks