Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 01:18 AM

Default expansion chassis weirdness

i just installed a digi 7-slot expansion chassis.

i have the expansion card installed in the first available PCI slot (after the graphics card which takes up the space of the first one) in the G5. i have a digi core card in slot 1 of the chassis followed by 2 process cards.

the strange thing is that i could not get protools to recognize the audio interface until i hooked up the digilink cable to the 2nd process card. as far as i know it should actually be hooked up to the core card. i tried reseating all the cards as well as the FlexCables but it didn't make a difference.

also, i couldn't even boot the system when i installed a new firewire card (Pryo PCI 64) in the PCI slot following the expansion card on the G5. i was wondering if it should actually go in the chassis instead since that would be the backwards way to do it and that seems to the way things are working right now!

the reason for the chassis is to be able to use Mojo with the 2nd firewire card. also, PT was working fine with the previous setup minus the chassis.

ideas anyone?

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
Mac OSX 10.4.2
ProTools v7.2
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Re: expansion chassis weirdness

Quote:
also, i couldn't even boot the system when i installed a new firewire card (Pryo PCI 64) in the PCI slot following the expansion card on the G5. i was wondering if it should actually go in the chassis instead since that would be the backwards way to do it and that seems to the way things are working right now!
I'd say take out the expansion chassis host card out of the G5, and see if the system boots with just the Pyro card in the G5. Then test to see if the Pyro card is working. You need to establish that everything works. The FireWire card should never be placed in the expansion chassis.

Perhaps try the Pyro card in the G5's third slot (which is the fastest).

You might also have an issue with the expansion chassis, host card, or connecting cables are defective.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 AM

...also make sure you follow the "Power Up" procedure as described in the Expansion HD manual. It's crucial.

First: Expansion Chassis
Second: External clocking (if you're using it).
Third: Audio Interfaces. *Wait until interfaces are fully booted (LED's stop flashing)*.
Last: Computer.

"Power Off" procedure is the reverse.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 PM

bavc,
Check out this link:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1044460
Randy
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL