Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2018, 07:43 AM

Default Re: midi stuck notes with NI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anibal View Post
having lots of issues with midi stuck notes when I stop PT...
specially with Kontakt and Reaktor. it doesn't send note off.
latest version of everything, any clues?
thanks
+1

Use stuff from KU 11 all day long and often get a stuck note with NI synths.

All MIDI Notes Off command in PT does not clear it so would seem to be nothing to do with the sequencer being stopped before note off is send. Either need to deactivate and reactivate plugin or turn the CPU off with Reaktor or similar.

BTW, how can Pro Tools not be sending note off data in general?! Otherwise, how does the synth know to end the note and go into release?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I just tried 20 times in a row to do it and i can't.

i can however get an issue if i change patches continuously really rapidly during playback, but a start stop on transport fixes it or to change to another patch whilst transport stopped. *that* is the same in every daw i have ever used but always only happens on the same Vi's.. So there *must* be something in those Vi that are programmed differently that causes this.

The thing about this particular topic that makes it strange is that half of us get NI stuck notes, and half of us simply can't get them under the same conditions.

So to me anyway, i find this one baffling and it will be very hard for any dev to track down the cause.. life is much easier when a bug is a bug that affects all users.

This is why I have been thinking of any variable that may differ system to system to cause it. And i know i am 99.999999% likely incorrect..

But just to humour me if you will, do you have any external midi keyboards connected to the computer even when you have drawn in the notes? This is what i was getting it.. even if it sounds silly, it's just something that popped into my head.. the midi engine of the daw could be doing things under the hood to keep communications open with that device, that causes issues. A real big stretch i know, but nevertheless, who knows!
That's the thing with intermittent problems like this. I don't get it all that often but when I do it happens for that whole session and the next day everything is okay. And stays okay for months at a time. As I said I get them the most from Absynth, to a lesser extent in Kontakt and FM8. And at least with Absynth this is a long-known issue talked about over on the NI forums going back literally years since at least Absynth 3 if not earlier.

To a point you bring up in your last paragraph I do have an external synth connected all the time to the computer. The setup is this from computer outward:
computer USB2 port
MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB (over a decade old but with current firmware)
Yamaha Motif7 sampler/synth keyboard
Moog Voyager Rack Mount synth
Yamaha DTXM12 drum machine

The synths are all on separate inputs/outputs on the MTPAVUSB. There is a set of front panel indicators for MIDI outputs, inputs, etc. The ones for MIDI outs are lit all the time and pulse like they're actively sending data - I wonder if this is the culprit even though the only port that should have any activity is the one the Motif is connected to? The other synths are turned off. Supposedly there's a way in the MTPAVUSB s/w to shutdown activity on the unused ports but I've had little getting that to work consistently. I don't drive the synths directly when recording but via the MIDI coming out of the computer (whether PT or DP).

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
To a point you bring up in your last paragraph I do have an external synth connected all the time to the computer. The setup is this from computer outward:
computer USB2 port
MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB (over a decade old but with current firmware)
Yamaha Motif7 sampler/synth keyboard
Moog Voyager Rack Mount synth
Yamaha DTXM12 drum machine

The synths are all on separate inputs/outputs on the MTPAVUSB. There is a set of front panel indicators for MIDI outputs, inputs, etc. The ones for MIDI outs are lit all the time and pulse like they're actively sending data - I wonder if this is the culprit even though the only port that should have any activity is the one the Motif is connected to?
The pulse you're probably seeing is one or more of your devices is sending MIDI Active Sensing messages. Yamaha has used active sensing on several of their devices, don't know about Moog. Harmless - it's just meant to tell other devices that there's something else still alive on the wires that's ready to transmit. Not many controller/device manufacturers implement that.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The pulse you're probably seeing is one or more of your devices is sending MIDI Active Sensing messages. Yamaha has used active sensing on several of their devices, don't know about Moog. Harmless - it's just meant to tell other devices that there's something else still alive on the wires that's ready to transmit. Not many controller/device manufacturers implement that.
Understood. However I even see those led's pulsing when said synths are turned off. As a matter of fact all channel output leds are pulsing.

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Understood. However I even see those led's pulsing when said synths are turned off. As a matter of fact all channel output leds are pulsing.
It could also be some type of time code being generated by the MTPAV. You can reset the device to its factory settings in the Clockworks menu.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Plenty of info in here!

https://support.native-instruments.c...hony-Libraries

Stephen

Old 12-01-2018, 07:38 AM

Has there been any progress on this or a solution found? I'm constantly getting stuck notes, especially when I'm running a larger orchestral piece, and the "all notes off" command in Pro Tools does nothing to stop it. Is there some setting that I need to change in Pro Tools or Kontakt?
Old 12-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.Brownlee View Post
Has there been any progress on this or a solution found? I'm constantly getting stuck notes, especially when I'm running a larger orchestral piece, and the "all notes off" command in Pro Tools does nothing to stop it. Is there some setting that I need to change in Pro Tools or Kontakt?

Agreed. All notes off usually is no help.

Sometimes playing the offending key can cancel the droning but sometimes not.

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk