Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-10-2002, 08:44 PM

Default Anybody here heard of Paris???

I talked with a guy that did a recording in nashville that said that all the studios are dropping pt and heading to Paris. I read everything i get my hands on when dealing with pro audio (especially the expensive stuff i cant afford but i drool over), but i have yet to hear of Paris. He said that engineers told him that it was easier to use then protools, which i doubt after having dealt with most other audio programs, avid owns the market hands down.

Anyway if any of you have heard or dealt with it, i am interested in knowing what it is, and what it involves.

Christian
Old 08-10-2002, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Anybody here heard of Paris???

To the best of my knowledge Paris is nothing new, it was originally Ensoniq Paris and then became EMU Paris Pro.

http://www.emu.com/products/paris/index.html

Cross platform and DSP cards.
I can say that all the pro user I have come across like their Paris setup but still use PT as well.
Last I heard EMU was in the process of dropping it as well, so I have seen a lot of good deals on Paris setups.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:14 PM

Dude, you should do a search under 'paris' in the general topic section.
In the past there has been_heated_ debate on pt vs. paris.
Never used it myself though.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:53 PM

Just for the record Emu/Ensoniq has dropped support for Paris as they have for most of their product line. By the way, they used to be TWO great and innovative companies until the Soundblaster guys bought them. Now they just suck. (Do I sound bitter?) I have an email sent out by one of their many former employees I think I may post here just to back this up. I wouldn't recommend buying anything Emu if you like any kind of support after the sale. As for the mass migration to Paris...if true, they'll be migrating somewere else again real soon.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:17 PM

EMU S**ks.

A few years ago I purchased there 16bit pci sound card.

2 in
2 out
Midi in/out
1 single DSP chip (say what!?)

Cost me $650

2 days after I purchased it they discontinued support of that product. Mind you, they didn't stop selling it. They just stopped supporting it.

Guess what!

It never worked. Crashed my system evrytime I tried to use it. Latest drivers win 98. I beleive they still sell it.

BEWARE!

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Numachida:
By the way, they used to be TWO great and innovative companies until the Soundblaster guys bought them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is what happens when one company buys another. They are generally buying something specific, or buying for a reason will necessarily destroy the purchased companies plans. In the hardware market purchases are seldom made to acquire customers, as is done in the software only market.

If you have hardware and company is bought, start looking for your next upgrade from another company.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:59 AM

As somebody who owns a ASR X you don't have to tell me how much that company sucks.

Wiz
Old 08-11-2002, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crs117:
I talked with a guy that did a recording in nashville that said that all the studios are dropping pt and heading to Paris.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i think he might have meant that the other way around. paris could have been a contender but they missed the wave. the company that sells it, as pointed out earlier, no longer supports it and will not develop the system any further.

buying Paris to replace ProTools at this point would be similar to replacing Windows XP with Windows 98. it works ok but no one makes anything for it anymore.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:39 AM

I've messed with DAW's for ten years. I've flip-flopped from and avid supporter of PC based DAWS to an avid disser and back again. I've used, at one time or another, almost every system out there: (Roland, Layla, Motu, Paris, Cakewalk, Sonar, CoolEdit, ProTools Le, and more). I'm not familiar with Mac stuff but I can tell you this, Paris was NEVER supported properly when they where supporting it and now it will officially NOT be supported. It can't get any worse for Paris owners.

Sonically it was just ok. The system always had plenty of bugs and was not very compatible. Just browse the Paris newsgroup archives for awhile. It will be enough to steer you in the right direction (away, far away).

For my money, there are only a couple of contenders out there. In the end, all the big boys that can use anything use PT. Enough said.

You can buy a PT system with a Berhinger 3216 board (or some other control surface) new for less than you can find a Paris used. Not exactly apples for apples, but IMO, the former is better than the latter anyway. The Yamaha 4416 is another decent choice (I prefer the editing capabilities of PT though).

Steve Moore
Old 08-11-2002, 03:50 PM

As Steven pointed out it was not a bad system it never got nourtured so it nevered matured.
It was Ensoniq's first (and only ) device of this kind so imagine how much R & D went into that they never saw a return on. Ouch [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Would it be interesting if some dealer has actually been able to sell people on Paris like it is something new.
Back in March I saw a local dealer who was closing unload his demo unit (original Paris not Paris Pro) on someone and make a nice profit so sometimes people just don't understand.