Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Default Low latency & rock solid performance when stuck with Native plug-ins possible ?

How do you guys get around the native plug-ins on aux and master fader on HDX ?

I found HDX to be not as reliable as soon as native plug-ins are used on aux and master faders. I mean all my bread and butter plug-ins are AAX native (Lexicon, Altiverb, Exponential..) and as soon as you use them on an aux track, you're prone to all the same buffer/unpredictabilties associated with Native system.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Low latency & rock solid performance when stuck with Native plug-ins possible ?

Its hit or miss but if you bus your audio track to an Aux and monitor through the Aux track... Thats just one way to try an get around the latency of "SOME" Native plugs...

Litehousemuzik
Audio Mixing Services
Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Low latency & rock solid performance when stuck with Native plug-ins possible ?

Great question. And the answer is this: you make do, probably forever, because *Avid has no interest in addressing this problem.* This is in line with the latency issues I posted about over a year ago.

Crickets.

In my experience, it's a real problem to track HDX with native plugs. (Some, not all as jbrown says.) For sessions where I know I'm going to be ripping through vocal stacks, or lots of guitar parts, I print stems to audio and record my new tracks in a separate session with no native plugs. If you need a verb, you've got D-Verb at a serviceable minimum and the AIR verb, or if you're lucky, ReVibe. Track away and then bring it all back into your original session. That's a lot of extra workflow, but there's been extra workflow for as long as I can remember. Use delay compensation after that, although with the method I described you shouldn't have to use it for tracking which personally gives me a lot more confidence.

Beware of any pitch-shifting plugs (AutoTune 7 and 8.0 are problematic) for adding latency everywhere. Ozone 6 for mastering is cool when mixing but will make tracking totally crazy.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7282 View Post
but if you bus your audio track to an Aux and monitor through the Aux track...

Monitor thru the aux with DC and aux out to the LLM outs?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.