Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Default MIDI I/O setup

New Windows 10 PC, just moved P.T.10 to it and when I set up a click track, it reads “no input/MainOutL/R” -and I can hear it. I created a drum track in EZDrummer2, where I can hear that. Now I create a MIDI track in Pro Tools and move the drums into it, I see they went visibly into the track, the meters are moving -but I get no sound. (Oh, and when I assigned “XPand” as an out on that same MIDI track, my drum track was audible as keys) I’m SO close, please help...🙏🏻
Old 01-23-2019, 05:25 AM

Default Re: MIDI I/O setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKid View Post
New Windows 10 PC, just moved P.T.10 to it and when I set up a click track, it reads “no input/MainOutL/R” -and I can hear it. I created a drum track in EZDrummer2, where I can hear that. Now I create a MIDI track in Pro Tools and move the drums into it, I see they went visibly into the track, the meters are moving -but I get no sound. (Oh, and when I assigned “XPand” as an out on that same MIDI track, my drum track was audible as keys) I’m SO close, please help...🙏🏻
Don't know what you mean by 'audible as keys'.

Anyway part of the problem is you're running an incompatible combo of PT10 and Windows 10. According to the chart on this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
the last compatible Windows for PT 10 is Win7 with SP1.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Some stuff to consider:

Meters showing on a MIDI track only means that it has midi notes(and midi makes no sound of its own)

Using midi tracks AND instrument tracks is the long way around. Just insert EZDrummer on a stereo INSTRUMENT track and record midi directly on the INSTRUMENT track(honestly, I can't think of any reason to use a MIDI track in this case).

MIDI tracks are "dumb" in that they need to be told where the midi is supposed to go(you assign the midi track output to the VI plugin you wish to trigger).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Some stuff to consider:

Meters showing on a MIDI track only means that it has midi notes(and midi makes no sound of its own)

Using midi tracks AND instrument tracks is the long way around. Just insert EZDrummer on a stereo INSTRUMENT track and record midi directly on the INSTRUMENT track(honestly, I can't think of any reason to use a MIDI track in this case).

MIDI tracks are "dumb" in that they need to be told where the midi is supposed to go(you assign the midi track output to the VI plugin you wish to trigger).
PT10 doesn't have instrument tracks.
I didn't question the routing because I got the feeling the op has been around the block a few times and was hip to things. Still it's an easy thing to forget.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 PM

Default MIDI I/O setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PT10 doesn't have instrument tracks.

??

PT v10 definitely has Instrument Tracks.

From memory, they were introduced with PT v8. It may have even been an iteration of v7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
??

PT v10 definitely has Instrument Tracks.

From memory, they were introduced with PT v8. It may have even been an iteration of v7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My error and I stand corrected. I based my comment off of some old sessions I did back in PT10.3.8 (vanilla) that had separate MIDI and vi host tracks.

QAPLA!