Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-23-2019, 11:39 AM

Default Pro tools blues

Why is it that pro tools crashes so often?? I know we have the so called pro users whose pro tools never crashes but believe me you are the minority!! And yes I’m a pro user also I work in LA, NY, ATL and this is how I make my living. I have done everything suggested, optimized, removed all plugins added them one at a time etc. in my experience all daws crash but nowhere close to Pro Tools and unlike the majority who always have their 2cents to add and have even told me that this is a program for pros and if I don’t like it I should move on lol (hilarious) usually those people only have experience with one daw. I have all of the other daws and they too have issues but no where close to pro tools. The sad part is there is so much information on the duc but nothing fixes the issues I’m not complaining about having to upgrade every year I just want it to work. Just tried to bounce a song crash, if I leave a project open too long crash, sometimes I open a project distortion I need to reset the playback engine the list goes on and on. I go to other studios and the same things happen but nobody is really upset they just kinda go with it. Now I’m not asking anyone on this forum for anything so no need to ask for my specs or tell me that their pro tools is perfect and never crashes because either you’re lying or you don’t use it every day or you’re just lucky lol I’ve been doing this for a long time and have had some pro tools systems that didn’t crash as much and this was before pro tools 12. If you don t like what I’m saying you know what to do. But as a paying customer I can say what I want and just did. And if you think I’m just talking look at the distorted playback issue that just comes out of no where I searched on the forum and someone posted a fix the only problem is it only works for him everyone else on the thread still has the issue. Avid didn’t even post on that thread. I had an s3 and dock and the dock didn’t do something’s that it should have I spoke up and the moderator said well you can still get work done with it which was true but what about addressing the problems?? I can drive my car on a flat too but I’d most likely fix it.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Pro tools blues

Please take a look at that infamous Help Us Help You page that is linked to the forum header.

Also, have you tried this new 2019.5 which is the greatest thing since 8.1.1
Old 05-23-2019, 05:55 PM

If your system is crashing it could be any number of reasons - processor is too slow, there's a hardware problem such as your RAM, there's a plugin problem, you have too much else going on in the background - the list goes on. You have to troubleshoot and do a little research to get a stable system. If you want to vent, that's fine, but wouldn't you rather get your DAW working better? Just sayin'...

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-24-2019, 08:50 AM

If you did all the recommended optimizations and removed all plugins, and that didn't cure the stability problems, you have a hardware problem. Period. What good could it possibly do you to blame the program? I have used Pro Tools as my primary tool almost every work day since 1995. I remember certain crash-prone versions. But they were the exceptions. Since PT 11, things have been very stable.

Today, I work in a media department that has four up-to-date, Mac-based Pro Tools bays that are in use 40 hours/week recording and editing audio, conforming it to video, and producing radio shows, podcasts, and video series. None of us can remember the last time PT crashed. Happens a couple times a year, maybe.

On top of that, I personally use an up-to-date Windows-based PT system at home for composing music and a variety of side jobs. It crashes once in a great while due to a known bug in East West Play. But that's rare, and it's not caused by a problem with Pro Tools.

I'm not claiming it's perfect. There are bugs that have to be worked around. Always have been. But the program is stable if your hardware is fully compatible and working properly, and if you don't have problematic plugins installed.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-24-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Please take a look at that infamous Help Us Help You page that is linked to the forum header.

Also, have you tried this new 2019.5 which is the greatest thing since 8.1.1
Especially as it seems from other posts the OP is running on Mojave. We cannot guess what has been done but without (the widely advised on DUC) disabling hyperthreading PT on Mojave was unstable for many users... until 2019.5.