Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Resurrect Steve Jobs

How is the New Mac Pro a Mac Pro?????
No PCIe slots?
No HardDrive Slots
No open Graphics card slot

I'm sure it is fast but so are their iMacs and Laptops. Why would I get this over a new imac?

They are trying to hard? Can someone please Resurrect Steve Jobs. This is no Pro Machine. It's a gimmick that will fail. Then they will say no one wants a Mac Pro because sales sucked. I new apple would fall just not this quick.

It was probably rejected by Jobs, but Tim liked it so here it is. I bet Logic and Final cut will blaze on this....lol

What a slap in the face to Avid....... HDX is DEAD!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Resurrect Steve Jobs

Steve probably designed it. This thing was likely in the works when he was alive.

It's got Steve written all over it. He loved these odd shapes, the G4 Cube, The NeXT box, etc.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Steve probably designed it. This thing was likely in the works when he was alive.

It's got Steve written all over it. He loved these odd shapes, the G4 Cube, The NeXT box, etc.
Yeah he did probably approve it and he did like those strange shaped items

It wouldn't have been one of the first of his strange item that failed either
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Think of it this way, you can still get whatever upgrades you want, the Thunderbolt 2 allows for expansions, PCI-E Expansion chassis, Harddrives or whatever. I dont think that the people at Apple was thinking: Hey lets build this thing alot smaller, lets not care about anything else.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 AM

This has Steve written all over it. Its bold. It breaks with tradition. Its solves old problems in new ways. And its a perfect example of Apple answering the question of what you want by telling you what you need. Or what they will give you. Another example is that there are no wireless keyboards with number pads.

I'm hoping that they launch a line on mice and keyboards in black to match.

I think its a interesting computer. Just not what most people where asking for. It will be interesting to see what hoops people will jump through to integrate this with their hardware. And frankly unless your doing video where you need two GPU's you may be just as well of with a iMac.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM

External drives, Expansion chassis or HDn thunderbolt plus separate PSUs for everything plus adapters to FW800 plus extenders to forward display ports to remote edit rooms plus external TB-Videohardware, plus I/O interfaces.
Those 6 TB ports will be occupied in no time and most TB devices are single-ended.
Unfortunately the HDX racks of the future might look like this with the new MacPro (replace the PCs for the MacPro in that picture):

The only real advantage for audio people over any other current Apple computer is that it has 6 TB ports and will be very silent (hopefully)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I think its a interesting computer.
It sure is. And I do agree it has Steve written all over it. His last masterpiece? RIP, Steve, this box is really the next Cube and you will be remembered of this.

For me, this is not that interesting. Mac Mini serves more purpose as a hide-it-away server and if most of the processing happens on the TB devices the new MP does not appeal to me. I might be very wrong about my initial opinion, though. But for now, I'm going to skip this as it cannot carry any PCI-express cards in it, and if all cards should go outboard (TB) I might just as well use a laptop. MBP retina has two TB slots which is plenty for now.

ThunderBolt in itself seems to be more important than Mac Pro. Tech is changing and we do not have a definitive answer to what's the usual Protools config is going to look like in a couple of years...

This is surely very interesting :)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
This is surely very interesting :)
Interesting is how much will the thing cost
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Interesting is how much will the thing cost
Based on the video cards alone..... base unit... $3995 is my guess. MAYBE $3495.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Based on the video cards alone..... base unit... $3995 is my guess. MAYBE $3495.
Cost is a big factor I think. The non servicability and upgradability is a issue for me. Not that I'm in the market for one. In away Apple is doing themselves a diservice by forcing all the peripherals into thunderbolt. In a way it will make upgrading esier since all you need to do is plug your thunderbolt cables into the new unit. But for a lot of people if the unit has enough floating point power there not going to be a compelling reason to upgrade if its still working for them.

On a related topic I saw a G4 Cube in the wild the other day. Alas it was broken. Still a atractive computer. Lets hope that these have a longer lifespan.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88