Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2015, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Reverb on dialogue - surround mixes

Hi, Cheesehead, nice to read your posting. Something other than surround, I would like to ask if you only put dialogue in C, nothing at all in L and R. Some mixers told me that they would put the dialogue in all LCR, but just more in C for punching. Any comments?
Thanks a lot in advance.
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I also don't normally add any reverb to production dialogue unless matching ADR with on set recordings. Then only in mono to the centre.

Like Quadraphonics says, its good in a cave or a boiler room or some large exteriors, but its a bit of a trap to start putting it on everything.
Anything that detracts from the clarity and intelligibility of Dialogue is a no no.

Remember theaters are generally echoey enough anyway without adding extra.

I have heard it done well though, listen to 'The King's Speech' DVD for instance. A lot of it is personal preference. If it sounds good, it is good.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:03 AM

Divergence of the C to the LR is indeed a frequent application. Obviously, depends on the narrative, what's on screen and the picture edit (CU shots, Mids, Wids, off screen or panned DXs). Whatever it takes to create the desired effect and what serves the story right. Or in other words, whatever the director prefers.

For TV, frequently the opposite takes place, to make sure that dx consistently comes through the LCR spectrum, irrespective of speaker wiring irregularities of Joe Public's home theatre system. But then again, you're liable to the specs given.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks a lot, antonis. May I ask an ignorant question what dx stands for.
Thanks you very much in advance.
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
Divergence of the C to the LR is indeed a frequent application. Obviously, depends on the narrative, what's on screen and the picture edit (CU shots, Mids, Wids, off screen or panned DXs). Whatever it takes to create the desired effect and what serves the story right. Or in other words, whatever the director prefers.

For TV, frequently the opposite takes place, to make sure that dx consistently comes through the LCR spectrum, irrespective of speaker wiring irregularities of Joe Public's home theatre system. But then again, you're liable to the specs given.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cheung View Post
Thanks a lot, antonis. May I ask an ignorant question what dx stands for.
Thanks you very much in advance.
King
Not sure if it is an American thing, but, DX is the abbreviation for Dialogue. FX is the abbreviation for Effects, so having a 2 letter abbreviation for Dialogue was handy especially if the file name is long and you need to indicate what element is in the file. Also, scribble strips (even the virtual ones on your Controller) need a short-hand, so DX is better than DIA, or DILG because you can add a number after it for all your Dialogue tracks and still keep it to 4 characters. People also use MX for music.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 10-26-2015, 07:05 AM

ic, thanks a lot, minster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Not sure if it is an American thing, but, DX is the abbreviation for Dialogue. FX is the abbreviation for Effects, so having a 2 letter abbreviation for Dialogue was handy especially if the file name is long and you need to indicate what element is in the file. Also, scribble strips (even the virtual ones on your Controller) need a short-hand, so DX is better than DIA, or DILG because you can add a number after it for all your Dialogue tracks and still keep it to 4 characters. People also use MX for music.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Hi, Cheesehead, nice to read your posting. Something other than surround, I would like to ask if you only put dialogue in C, nothing at all in L and R. Some mixers told me that they would put the dialogue in all LCR, but just more in C for punching. Any comments?
Thanks a lot in advance.
King
Hi King,
Personally I don't like taking dialogue out of the center speaker for films.
The whole point of the dialogue being in the center is so wherever you sit in the cinema you perceive the dialogue in the same way.
I have seen films where dialogue has been panned L and R and if you're sitting close to the screen or to one side, its sounds weird.

Also you can dig yourself in to a world of pain, as most dialogue has some production sound with it, footsteps, props and air (atmos) etc. You pan the dialogue and all that gets panned too, not good.

I don't use divergence on dialogue and I don't know any mixers that do, certainly not for film.

Have a look at some good DVD 5.1 soundtracks. They will tell you all you need to know.