Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 PM

Default Re: new user, i seriously HATE this company

I feel for you. And I too am ready to throw the towel in. In fact I want compensation for all the lost hours of work. ProTools is the centre piece of our studios therefore it must run right. If it has a problem with 3rd party software i.e plugins then there should be messages and work arounds such as warnings & such....Still I supose I could sell my prized synths and buy a HDX system but whos to say thats stable too?. It really is getting crazy... I sold my Sadie system to get into ProTools now im thinking oh no!

"We are just button makers we are not button pushes" Zsarbomba 2013
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
both twice each. forget it. it doesn't matter. i hate this company and monday morning i'm going to return everything i can and contact avid regarding my pro tools purchase.

do you guys know why ableton is becoming so popular? because i can turn it on and plug whatever i want into it and everything just works. i don't even like ableton, and i don't make loop based music, but i find myself using it all the time because using pro tools requires hours of trouble shooting to do anything. i've spent my entire night tonight trying to fix this stupid program and make it do what it should and it's only gotten worse. i won't even tell you all the trouble i had to go through to get this mbox this week. because i was told it would make everything so much easier and work flawlessly. this is all a scam in my opinion.

i appreciate all the help. it's avid that i'm mad at. the idea that i would spend $1000 and then they would ask for another $30 to answer a question is ridiculous.
You know I don't want to sound condescending by what I'm going to write, but I hope it will make you think a little. We (the moderators) are not paid and are not avid employees. Many of us actually work everyday with said software and have clients that depends on us and on the stability of our equipment. Do you think that we would be offering our help freely as professionals if we didn't see and believe in said product? Again I emphasis the freely, because we are not getting paid for doing this, nor is anyone else on this forum that doesn't have an AVID tag under their names who are helping people the best they can. So I'd like you to think on this for a moment and maybe it will give you some pause and calmness that will help you and us find the problem and solved it. If this software was really this bad, do you think we professionals and hundreds if not thousands around the world, would be using it daily to make our living?

Each daw has it's own quirks, some more than others, and some are really more finicky about what they need. Pro tools is a different daw altogether from the lot of them in the sense that it actually runs real time processing in line with the CPU, compared to the others that run by delayed packet instructions (or something similar.. I'm tired :P) That real time processing actually requires a lot more from the computer than the others, but at the same time it gives a lot more too.

So again, take a break, breath in breath out.. wax in wax out.. humm and do what ever you need to calm down, because right now you're fueling yourself with rage for something that Avid is not responsible. 1 sales of the interface (tascam), 2 computer that does not meet required specs (as in two HDD and yes it could be related to the crash you were having).

So once we've all got some hours of sleep, level headed.. a few pint of coffee.. We can work on back tracking the changes you made to the system starting by the last one you made, reverting the change to it's initial state and then you trying to see if your interface works again. Once we find out which step in there has either been incorrectly made or for some unforeseen reason is incompatible with your specific computer, we can move forward from there.

But if you're just bent on keeping venting on this forum and saying you hate this and that company comparing it to an other piece of software that might look like it's doing the same thing, but it's not at it's core, then you can always return what you bought and move on. The choice is yours.

Until then I truly hope you have a good night.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsarbomba View Post
I feel for you. And I too am ready to throw the towel in. In fact I want compensation for all the lost hours of work. ProTools is the centre piece of our studios therefore it must run right. If it has a problem with 3rd party software i.e plugins then there should be messages and work arounds such as warnings & such....Still I supose I could sell my prized synths and buy a HDX system but whos to say thats stable too?. It really is getting crazy... I sold my Sadie system to get into ProTools now im thinking oh no!

"We are just button makers we are not button pushes" Zsarbomba 2013
Avid is not responsible for third parties software, plugins or interfaces. It's to those companies to make sure that what they sell while promoting compatibility with pro tools actually work with it and get their own bugs fixed. From what I know, Avid has always been open to work with third parties to help them fix issues, but they are not the one offering technical support for an other company's product, and surely not the one to have to pay for those products.

Now if you have a specific problem with your system, you know the drill. Start your own thread with all the information needed, and someone will probably try to help you.

I want you also to think on what I wrote in my previous post and I'll add to that, the amount of people that actually post bug reports or technical glitch with their setup is minimal compared to the number of people that actually use a software (all software intended here not speaking of Pro tools specifically) without problems. It's those that usually have problems that you will see post.. because they are looking for a solution, while those that do not have a problem, rarely thinks about making a post about how good what they are using is.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 AM

If I can add just a thought to Manny's good words:

I have be running Pro Tools studios for many years. I don’t come here with problems or complaints. I just come here to help others. If my systems can run day in and day out, so can yours. We simply need to find out what you may have missed in Hardware, setup, and Plug-in choices. And there might even be a little pilot error thrown in as well. We are here to help. A good Pro Tools setup can require a fair amount of patience, but it's worth it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 AM

I too had some problems installing Pro Tools with my Tascam Interface (I use a US-1800)
But I got it working with some help from old post from this forum and some coincidence.

I had to disable mutliple Accounts on my Windows System, so that the account I am using has admin rights and disable all antivirus software while installing Pro Tools.

The Problem with the Tascam driver seems to be that on a windows system it can't set the buffer size and you can't set it manually to the right size. The solution for me was to select another device for the system sound, so the Tascam interface is not in use by any other application and install Asio4All which addresses the Tascam (I still got all the input and output capabilities). I still have to manually select the driver when Pro Tools is starting (by pressing "n" continously).

I think the key is to install Pro Tools correctly which is quite counter intuitive on windows at least (I have some colleagues who use mac systems and the seem to have no problems whatsoever)

But I still think the Avid support (with exeption to this forum which as I said did the trick for me) is quite unorganized and unhelpful.

I hope that provides some starting points for you.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 AM

If I may lighten the thread by interjecting a bit of humor...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ght=reputation

[OPINION]

My own observation...people who post like the OP did here have a "personality type" that may not allow them to successfully use Pro Tools.

Picking up on the Ferrari analogy, someone who just got their driver's license is probably not going to be able to properly drive such a high performance vehicle. Doing so requires far more knowledge than just where to put the key in it.

So it is with Pro Tools...in general, you can't just pop in a DVD, connect a cable, and go.

Unless you're me (see post I linked to ) you will need to exactly follow the instructions to optimize your computer, then exactly follow the instructions to install the drivers and software. Then you are going to need to spend a lot of time reading, both the provided Pro Tools manuals and third-party documents.

And you aren't going to get good results in 30 seconds...you have to be willing to take the time required to get the results you want. There simply are no shortcuts.

Think of using Pro Tools as being like becoming a Navy Seal...it's a b*tch to get in, but once you do you get to play with some really cool toys and do amazing stuff.

Regarding the "personality types" and posts I mentioned earlier, I'm very slightly bipolar so I too have made some "ranting" posts from time to time. But generally I manage to keep my feelings in check and just post all of the information needed to solve my problem (if a solution is possible).

I've found that I generally get better results from the "cool, calm, and collected" posts. In fact, once I get things in check to make a "good" post, I'm often able to take a better look at the situation, and I'm freqently able to resolve the issue without assistance.

[/OPINION]

So, while all I personally have to offer is a "good luck", I hope you are able to get things going. Pro Tools is amazing, but it is a professional tool, and you have to be willing to deal with it as such...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM

And,

Have you in fact contacted your salesman for help on this yet? Did he explain to you that you are not running an AVID qualified computer? This really is his responsibility. Ask him to make it right for you.

Again, best of luck to you wherever your decisions may lead you.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...315?popup=true

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM

I'm butting in here but, all the posts by Avid/Pro Tools Moderators and supporters could have been stated simply as in, "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay under the porch!" This may have hurt the guys feelings a little but it explains the fact simply and to the point! Avid should have a disclaimer with all their software in bold print, READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE! If you don't meet the qualifications or lack any of the computer skills or knowledge required, or, if any of your other software//hardware is not compatible with this version of Pro Tools then you don't qualify for membership in our private club of elite Pro Tools operators ! Save your money ! Oh, but that would hurt sales an profits !
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 AM

PT is a professional level program and that means complexity and hardware requirements.
Also, right now is very old picky code that takes some work to get running.

Most importantly, Avid has a free 30 day trial offer.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post

Most importantly, Avid has a free 30 day trial offer.
And this is what the salesmen should be pointing out. Sell them a iLok. Point them towards the trial. And say "try this- see how you like it and how it works with your hardware"

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88