Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Default Apogee Symphony and PT9

I finally got PT9 to work on my rig with an Apogee Symphony 64 system. I had to boot my Mac Pro in 32 bit mode and reinstall the 32 bit Symphony drivers as well. Kind of counter intuitive these days but it all works great and I can't believe I have a Pro Tools 9/ Apogee Symphony system.
Cheers!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony and PT9

I have a similar set up... downloading the update now. What do you mean that you had to boot in 32 bit mode? I thought it was just a matter of "getting info" and selecting 32 bit mode per app. Please clarify.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agno View Post
I have a similar set up... downloading the update now. What do you mean that you had to boot in 32 bit mode? I thought it was just a matter of "getting info" and selecting 32 bit mode per app. Please clarify.
No. I have been running Snow Leopard at 64 bit since it's release. I actually edited my com.apple.boot.plist so my Mac Pro would always boot 64 bit. I had also run my Apogee Symphony 64 system with the 64 bit Apogee drivers. I made sure that my computer was again booting at 32 bit, by re-editing my boot.plist, and reinstalled an older 32 bit version of the Apogee Symphony drivers. I had tried everything before arriving at this solution. I am in fact working in PT9 mixing right now. It is a great set up. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forjam View Post
No. I have been running Snow Leopard at 64 bit since it's release. I actually edited my com.apple.boot.plist so my Mac Pro would always boot 64 bit. I had also run my Apogee Symphony 64 system with the 64 bit Apogee drivers. I made sure that my computer was again booting at 32 bit, by re-editing my boot.plist, and reinstalled an older 32 bit version of the Apogee Symphony drivers. I had tried everything before arriving at this solution. I am in fact working in PT9 mixing right now. It is a great set up. Good luck!

Quick question... I'm only able to get my buffer down to 64, why is 32 not available? I'm able to get that low with Logic. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Quick question... I'm only able to get my buffer down to 64, why is 32 not available? I'm able to get that low with Logic. Thanks!
Pr Tools is only down to 64. It is splitting hairs as you can zoom down to sample level and not see any visible latency at that buffer size. DP7 and Live 8 are also different. Just a Pro Tools thing. I'm a big Logic 9 user and these two applications are very different. I love mixing in Pro Tools.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Protools does in fact go down to 32, at least using firewire. I would think the Symphony card would also. He might want to check his setup.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Protools does in fact go down to 32, at least using firewire. I would think the Symphony card would also. He might want to check his setup.
Hi
I've read lots of different infos about the minimum buffers, some say it's 64 some say it's 32.
Could someone clarify moreso testify having used 32samples with PT9 and a 3rd party interface ?
Thanks !
Nick.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktammer View Post
Hi
I've read lots of different infos about the minimum buffers, some say it's 64 some say it's 32.
Could someone clarify moreso testify having used 32samples with PT9 and a 3rd party interface ?
Thanks !
Nick.
This and also state what sample rate you're using please. I think 48khz and lower might can do 32 samples, but anything higher requires 64 samples. And actually, 32 samples at 48k = 64 samples at 96k in ms.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Interesting...I'll try a 48k session and see if the results are different. That wouldn't make sense. Just FYI I was in a 44.1k session at the time. I also noticed that the 003 when used with Logic can only go down to 64. Which is completely weird to me. Maybe it's an avid thing. I'd certainly like suggestions on optimizing my symphony rig if anyone has some.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
The buffer selections in PT9 are not the same as in Logic using the Symphony 64 system. I just realized that the VBUS channels don't work in PT9 and crash it when they are turned on. Are yours working? If so what version OS (32 or 64 bit boot) and what version audio driver?