Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 PM

Default Can I Sell My Pro Tools HD License?

I am considering selling my license, but I don't know if it's still possible. Anybody know? And if so, how?

Chris Conlee
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Can I Sell My Pro Tools HD License?

I think you need to sell it with hardware, but don't know what's the case if you originally had a CPTK license that was upgraded to HD. In any case you need to fill in a Transfer of Ownership form and Avid will help you from there.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/en363631
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
I am considering selling my license, but I don't know if it's still possible. Anybody know? And if so, how?

Chris Conlee
This has been discussed many times on DUC already. You can search for those past discussions. And read the documentation in Avid's transfer of ownership process. Findable with Google.

Nobody can give you an specific answer without knowing what version of HD you have, if you are transferring hardware as well that the license was bundled with (or was it a PT+CPTK upgrade?), and if the HD software was on a 2015 or later upgrade plan.....
Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Hmmm, yeah I'm a CPTK refugee with no audio hardware to sell. I Googled and found Avid's transfer of ownership FAQ, and paragraph 2 says, in effect: anybody who's upgraded to a new 2015 or later "support plan" (for which I've received ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, by the way), can no longer transfer their license.

Nice.

Pay us your money, and then when you get NOTHING, and aren't satisfied, you can no longer sell your license.

Avid makes me smile sometimes.

Chris
Old 08-17-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
Hmmm, yeah I'm a CPTK refugee with no audio hardware to sell. I Googled and found Avid's transfer of ownership FAQ, and paragraph 2 says, in effect: anybody who's upgraded to a new 2015 or later "support plan" (for which I've received ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, by the way), can no longer transfer their license.

Nice.

Pay us your money, and then when you get NOTHING, and aren't satisfied, you can no longer sell your license.

Avid makes me smile sometimes.

Chris
Yep you've experienced one of the path of maximum customer exploitation through Avid's licensing quagmire, and dishonesty to some of it's more loyal customers.

You can try to sell the license on your iLok, but unless the purchaser has access to an Avid account they can't download software/updates. And who knows if they can upgrade in future. If you can pass your Avid and iLok.com accounts and email address onto a purchaser then that is different, but that usually takes having set up burner email accounts etc. to do so.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:21 AM

Yeah, the whole thing is a little silly, and a little maddening. Honestly, I'm a picture editor who only dabbles in post audio for personal projects. It amounts to an expensive hobby for me. But I do work in surround, so HD is necessary.

But I'm not sure if it's worth $400/year for what I do? Especially if year after year passes with no new HD features and some of the features I already counted as HD exclusives being given away to vanilla users?

Just ruminating. And head scratching...

Chris