Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 PM

Default MacBook Pro i9 throttling and performance

So I ordered one of the new i9 MacBook Pros and should be receiving it between Tuesday and Thursday of next week. There have been reports that the i9 runs too hot when taxed and the chip reportedly drops to levels below the performance of the i7 (2017) I believe.

Some reports are also suggesting that Apple may be able to change the fans with software to turn them on earlier as the unit starts to heat up. This can possibly alleviate the problem.

So I am curious about what you guys think about getting the i9 for Pro Tools. Do you think it will be a problem?II

I use Pro Tolls 2018 HD-Native, Superior Drummer 3.0, Komplete, Eleven Rack and a few other plug ins at times.

Last edited by Guitarman002; 07-19-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro i9 throttling and performance

Get a really good cooler for laptops and maybe none of this will matter

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-19-2018, 07:24 PM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. However, I am sure that Apple would have known about potential issues etc. They look like amazing machines and I think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup at the moment. Need to see real world usage examples instead of geek bench activity, which has never really meant anything in the real day to day activity IMO.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-19-2018, 09:06 PM

My 2012 MBP's fans only churn up when the graphics switches over from the internal card to the NVIDIA card. Other than that its silent up thru 60% total system usage (which I've never gone over).
Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. However, I am sure that Apple would have known about potential issues etc. They look like amazing machines and I think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup at the moment. Need to see real world usage examples instead of geek bench activity, which has never really meant anything in the real day to day activity IMO.
There are several real world use cases piling up on Youtube and they all show that the i9 doesn't even keep its base clock unter load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuLqdylcFbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxFfcNzAUac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1VWl8zZEsU

Apple is a phone company, and their definition of "Pro" is professionals who need a laptop to write their invoices and check mails. And that sure is a larger demographic than those other pros that really need horsepower for their line of work. So it's understandable. Joke's on "us" for still being surprised by that.
The iMac Pro is a silver lining and keeps me holding my breath for the Mac Pro. But I wouldn't be surprised if they pull another classic Apple and mess it up.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Honestly I'm a little surprised this particular niche market is getting so up in arms about this without seeing some more PT-specific tests. Every test we see is GeekBench, CineBench, or absurdly long video renders that have little bearing on audio performance (PT isn't exactly a GPU-intensive application).

Has anyone with an i9 MBP run a more standard test, like a "Does EuCon kill everything" or "50 Instances of D-Verb plus Online- or Offline-Bounce" yet?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 PM

I received my MacBook Pro i9 2.9 GHz laptop and have been loading it up to get me ready for Pro Tools and Komplete. I still have Superior Drummer to load up and then I can test it all out. I do not know much about how to test a laptop so if you guys give me some pointers I will be glad to try running some tests when I'm finished loading everything, (hopefully tomorrow).
Old 07-20-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you can find one that really works as it's supposed to. Had a G4 Powerbook that used to run hot and tried a couple of different coolers and basically they were a waste of money.

QAPLA!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
absolutely pointless. they don't work on mac notebooks due to the way the fans and exhaust work.. The only one that did anything is now defunct after an initial successful kickstarter campaign.

I have a 200mm fan laptop cooler here and even at full blast it does not lower the cpu by a single degree.. On windows it lowers 5 or more.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 PM

One of our national broadsheets has a story running on the new MBP i9 model. Seems Apple is saying something about a firmware issue causing a heating issue... can’t see the whole story as it is pay per view.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————