Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Mastering...

Hi All,

I've read several threads on mastering and although everyone has a different preference I thought I'd throw a question out there again:

What do you think is the best way to master (other than sending to a MASTERER!)?

I've read some people use the master fader in the session.

Some people bounce the stereo and then import and use comp. on the master fader.

Now I've also just purchased Sony CD Architect 5.2 because I'm going to be doing some track dovetailing on a project I'm working on. What do those of you that use this usually do if you master through here? I was applying the Sony Track Compression and it seemed to do a pretty nice job. (Or any tips you have on using it - it seems great even though I've had it for just 4 hours.)

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse! Personally my stuff is very Wilson (who I got to meet after winning a contest last month!)/Spector wall of sound so there are many elaborate fulls speckled with soft sections.

THANKS!!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Mastering...

I always separate the two steps; mixing and mastering.
I create two separate sessions for each song, one for mixing and one for mastering.

For me, it's psychological as I want to get my head in two different modes.

I get the mix to where I want it, then bounce to a stereo mix.
Then, I open the mastering session where I have only one stereo track and one insert.

I've been using Ozone 3, and it does a decent job.

I do use CD Arch, but only for arranging my tracks and burning CDs.

Hope that helps.

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks - gonna download the demo tonight and check it out.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

i dont master my own stuff but if I did...

a quality master bus compressor is what really makes the difference for me, the X rack G series compressor (i think thats what its called) works great for "glueing" the sound together.

mastering is more than compression tho, different guys do different stuff. there is multiband compression (theres the C4 plugin that does this, which does not sound good to me, and theres also hardware that does this: http://www.tube-tech.com/?show=produ...er&productId=1)

Eq feathering, stereo difference eq-ing de-essing, low-end mono summing (for a plugin that does this check out http://www.brainworx-music.de/index....2&um=2&lang=en)

mastering guys generally listen on different monitor speakers than mixers and recording engineers, and also many of them also use extremely high quality A to D converters like the Lavry MK111 (which isn't cheap, they run from 8-10 grand)

I'm definitely no expert on it, but you can get an idea of what kind of equipment mastering guys use by just asking, a lot of guys will tell you exactly what they use and do. Its the whole philosophy of "its the driver, not the car" :)