Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on the Future of the 001...and Apple

I would also like to see how the new macs compare. There is a thread on the windows forum called "PT performance" that explains how to do a test that seems to be a good measure of performance. Perhaps someone who has a new mac would try the test out.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:46 PM

In regards to the problem of not enough plug-ins. The Korg Oasys card has tons of great effects that are very usable and between spdif and adat optical you have 10 i/o between LE and the Korg interface. The Korg card is powered w/5 processors and complete frees up the CPU. They discontinued the card, don't know why it is a great solution for the 001. Maybe someone, waves or something should build the same thing. The Korg card also has top of the line Korg synths, that is really cool. Maybe they have a better card coming out soon, if so they would sell a ton, I assume based on how many 001s are out there. Also, this is weird and maybe someone knows why but the card manufacture code in apple system profiler shows the 001 and the Korg card with the same 4 digit number, is this some default thing by apple?

Peace,
Jason
Old 01-29-2002, 06:40 AM

Muhaha Phamtec you have misguided faith my freind. As bassmac said go check the PC performance tests. So far i have seen an Athlon machine pulling 24 tracks plus 18 AUX's in that test. My 500 G4 pulls 12 :P Remember the 500 G4/clock is actually faster than the curent G4's (QS till now). It worked out to be about 50mhz/track on the Mac.

And err, rendering speed well first hand experience here can show you your wrong again ..the Athlon creams the G4. Lets talk 3d rendering shall we...??(all FP ops) Athlon once again is superior. Im not talking about the P4 im talking Athlon......and im not speaking thru my ass im as hardcore a mac guy as the next but lately my eyes are getting burned.

who makes another great point. It's Apple who are the make cox of themselves with all their marketing...who can SuperComputer? Dream on.

They (Apple) seem to be wasting time making pretty mom an dad apps for free like iphoto, itunes, iwank etc Apple have forgoten what PRO means....maybe they are confused thinking it means Prosumer.

I aint gonna spoil your fun tho, fantasy land is a great place to visit in spare time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Targon
Old 01-29-2002, 07:00 AM

http://www.apple.com/powermac/
Old 01-29-2002, 07:06 AM

Nastiness aside, it's clear that realworld benchmark tests based on a cross-platform methodology would be useful for lower-end users like us Digi001 folk, who choose host-based systems to save a few euros. I haven't checked out the "Davec" (sp?) test, but I will - I was a journalist for a computer mag a few years ago and often added realworld extensions to NSTL methodologies (CD-ROM tests, soundcard comparisons using A/B testers).

I'm sure Digi has benchmarks - all software houses define performance targets for calculation-intensive code, and spend lots of time optimizing that code without losing compatibility & reliability before publishing an upgrade - but I'm also sure Digi would never want to share their platform comparison results.

Ideally, I think it would be way cool if Digi developed a Linux version... in fact they are already, with the port to OSX. Although this approach is much easier said than done - need to hire a bunch of new people, retest a zillion times for compatibility, work out how to interface with other hardware devices & software formats (starting with plugins) - you can be sure that an Athlon Linux host-based DAW would smoke ANY Mac or Windows machine, and would probably be bulletproof to boot. Great for live/location work - mix later in a comfortable Mac or Win environment...

- Sean
Old 01-29-2002, 07:08 AM

Well the real laugh at track count will be when some MOTU user posts what he gets with a dual 1 GHz Power Mac.

carl
Old 01-29-2002, 07:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Athlon Linux host-based DAW would smoke ANY Mac or Windows machine, and would probably be bulletproof to boot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This just isn't true. Since "linux" programs DO run on the mac (I can run GIMP and Gnome on mine along with my other OS X apps), you can actually do your own tests (in some areas).

This crap about how fast a 1Ghz Athlon is is just that... crap.

Of course don't take my word for it, go and buy one and try it out for yourself.