Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Soft Knob Kinetics

I believe the ideascale for this is:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments

Although it's for the S3.

If anyone has started a different one that has more votes, let me know and I'll vote it up.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 10-18-2016, 04:12 AM

There doesn't seem to be fix for this in 3.5. for the dock but S3 owners are saying there is for them?

www.spoonsound.com
Old 10-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
There doesn't seem to be fix for this in 3.5. for the dock but S3 owners are saying there is for them?
oh really???? interesting, considering the usability of the Artist series really suffers from this.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:47 PM

For what it's worth I've started a ideascale, please vote.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

www.spoonsound.com
Old 10-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I voted!.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:16 AM

I voted too!
Please Avid, I still can't filter normally when playing...
Old 11-16-2016, 01:28 AM

+1
Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:

I voted too.

Unfortunately, I cannot support a product with a flaw this drastic. My primary reason for buying the dock was to get more hands on control. My plan was to slowly and steadily migrate away from the keyboard and mouse. I'd probably be more understanding if this was a completely new product but seeing these complaints from users MONTHS ago and not seeing a fix...well, that's too discouraging. Honestly, that's still giving Avid a lot of credit. I've even come across reports from S3 users who've owned their units for more than a year and they were experiencing the same issues....THESE ARE THE SAME KNOBS! I'm returning this unit to Sweetwater this week.

I wanted to love it. In my 1 week of ownership I've found uses for the control app that I didn't know I'd use but absolutely love. The Dock was supposed to be a natural extension of the app but this deems the hardware portion useless to me as I can just use the free app and save a decent amount of $.

I expected at least as much in responsiveness from this as my Native Instruments Maschine controllers (I own the Studio, the mkII mikro, and the original mk1). Those things are perfectly integrated with their software, hence why I own so many of them. They were all worth the money. They keep me loyal to NI and I've recommended their stuff (hardware AND software) to at least 10 others who have purchased TONS of gear from them. AVID, if you're reading this, that's the result of making a quality product THAT WORKS....you sell more of them, even multiple units to the same customer. Before the Dock arrived, I was already trying to figure out how long I would need to save before I could purchase the S3 to go with it. I won't have to worry about that any more. Shift your priorities to focus on taking care of your customers and making awesome equipment and software instead of stabbing what used to be so many loyal customers in the back with your recent pricing debacle.

ALSO, I've spent the WHOLE weekend trying to get Pro Tools to scroll/bank alongside the mixer view on the control app with no result....I mean Sweetwater's youtube review of the Dock CLEARLY shows it WAS working at some point... WTF AVID. Why would you release an update and break this seemingly obvious ability...it's not a feature, it's a BASIC FUNCTION.

End rant.

I still want to love it. And frankly, this just leaves me without a hardware controller. If this is fixed in a future update, maybe I'll re-consider purchasing the units again but seriously, Avid has had long enough to fix this issue so it's going back. I shouldn't need to buy an S6 for linear acceleration on a freaking knob... Being a pro tools user these days is way too frustrating.

P.S. AVID, you really started showing how poorly things were run when you released Pro Tools Free...something that could've gained a decent client base for you the way Garageband users graduate to Logic but you had to go and F&*$ that up for yourselves too. Not happy with your stuff at all in the past few years. I'm really starting to regret investing so much time and money into your products.
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennaudio View Post
I voted too.

Unfortunately, I cannot support a product with a flaw this drastic. My primary reason for buying the dock was to get more hands on control. My plan was to slowly and steadily migrate away from the keyboard and mouse. I'd probably be more understanding if this was a completely new product but seeing these complaints from users MONTHS ago and not seeing a fix...well, that's too discouraging. Honestly, that's still giving Avid a lot of credit. I've even come across reports from S3 users who've owned their units for more than a year and they were experiencing the same issues....THESE ARE THE SAME KNOBS! I'm returning this unit to Sweetwater this week.

I wanted to love it. In my 1 week of ownership I've found uses for the control app that I didn't know I'd use but absolutely love. The Dock was supposed to be a natural extension of the app but this deems the hardware portion useless to me as I can just use the free app and save a decent amount of $.

I expected at least as much in responsiveness from this as my Native Instruments Maschine controllers (I own the Studio, the mkII mikro, and the original mk1). Those things are perfectly integrated with their software, hence why I own so many of them. They were all worth the money. They keep me loyal to NI and I've recommended their stuff (hardware AND software) to at least 10 others who have purchased TONS of gear from them. AVID, if you're reading this, that's the result of making a quality product THAT WORKS....you sell more of them, even multiple units to the same customer. Before the Dock arrived, I was already trying to figure out how long I would need to save before I could purchase the S3 to go with it. I won't have to worry about that any more. Shift your priorities to focus on taking care of your customers and making awesome equipment and software instead of stabbing what used to be so many loyal customers in the back with your recent pricing debacle.

ALSO, I've spent the WHOLE weekend trying to get Pro Tools to scroll/bank alongside the mixer view on the control app with no result....I mean Sweetwater's youtube review of the Dock CLEARLY shows it WAS working at some point... WTF AVID. Why would you release an update and break this seemingly obvious ability...it's not a feature, it's a BASIC FUNCTION.

End rant.

I still want to love it. And frankly, this just leaves me without a hardware controller. If this is fixed in a future update, maybe I'll re-consider purchasing the units again but seriously, Avid has had long enough to fix this issue so it's going back. I shouldn't need to buy an S6 for linear acceleration on a freaking knob... Being a pro tools user these days is way too frustrating.

P.S. AVID, you really started showing how poorly things were run when you released Pro Tools Free...something that could've gained a decent client base for you the way Garageband users graduate to Logic but you had to go and F&*$ that up for yourselves too. Not happy with your stuff at all in the past few years. I'm really starting to regret investing so much time and money into your products.
I feel your pain. There doesn't seem to be any interest from Avid in fixing the issues that we have with the Dock. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't even anybody working on it anymore.
These are the same knobs as the S3 and they don't work as expected on that either so I'm guessing at this point they never will. Along with the other issues I have with the Dock (see my other posts in the forum) I'm starting to think I wouldn't mind my money back as well.

I retired my 003 console when i received the dock as I was fully expecting to follow that purchase with a S3. A few months ago I got the 003 back out of storage and it's sitting in front of me now, next to the dock. It's a bit of a work around to get it to work with the dock but I'm not wasting any more money until Avid start fixing the products they already have out or at least be up front with what can be fixed.

www.spoonsound.com
Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM

after sleeping on it, I'm gonna wait to at least talk to a rep at NAMM next week before I return this thing. I live about 15-20 minutes away from the Anaheim Convention center and I go every year. If they can give me some good news, i'll keep the thing and keep working on integrating into my workflow. If not, bye-bye dock.

I was lucky enough last night to stumble across an option in the control app itself (that was NOT mentioned by Kyle in the other thread) to tell the DAW to bank with the controller so I'm happy I was able to get that single issue resolved. (one of my many issues with the dock). It gives me some hope, but damn these stupid knobs....
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)