Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Tempo Normalizer (demo to Pre-production)

I'm a songwriter who frequently records song ideas on my iphone's voice recorder. It's usually a couple minutes of me playing piano and singing.

When I really like a voice recording, I'll go to Pro Tools and try to record a professional-sounding version. The problem is that I never capture all that I loved about the original voice memo. It's the little nuances I struggle to recreate that often made the original memo cool in the first place.

So I want to just load the iphone voice memo into pro tools and overdub it. The problem is that my iphone voice memos are never played to any tempo, so they are off-rythm.

Does anyone know of a software/plug-in that will take an off-rythm recording (one of my iphone voice memos), and make it so that the whole track is set to some tempo?

Sincere thanks in advance

ps.
While we're on the topic, I struggle to stay on rhythm, even with a metronome and quantizer. Anyone know of some miracle quantizer that would solve the problem.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Tempo Normalizer (demo to Pre-production)

Anything recorded on your iphone is just so you dont forget the idea you came up with , and defiantly shouldn't be regarded as a serious track recording to add to pro tools , except for maybe a very rough guide track in pro tools , ie; if it fits with the tempo .

Once you are happy with your new arrangement you should then open a new project withing pro tools , setting up the tempo before you start , and start recording your piano and vocals on good mics etc

re- stuggling with keeping in time to a metronome , it just practice ...., and time and accent , and sound selection adjustment do make a big big difference .

Ive had guys that cannot play along to them , and ive ended up whipping up a quick ballpark midi file drumbeat of the songs beat and used ezdrummer etc to play it back, or just constructed a song using my midi files library .

This is now super easy with EZDrummers 2,s tap to search function , its worth buying it just for that feature IMHO , and thats worked for those cant have trouble keeping time to a metronome ..., although I had to also allow for the song changes like verses and choruses and make my midi file follow these as to not throw them off (also super quick and easy in EZD2's song creator function) . For many people who just jam with each other and never use metronomes , being forced to all of a sudden play along with one is not always easy.

Re ; your iphone ...................,

Id suggest you download a metronome app for your iphone , and play along to that as you record for doing your scratchpad recording on your iphone , there are many available , find one that gives you a flashing light to go by . I dont know if iphone lets you have the metronome app open while recording or not ? , but if it does - that would solve your timing issues in protools.

Better still , invest in a zoom hn4 or hn6 ..., thats what I use for a scratch pad , it has great stereo mics , records in high quality , you can multitrack if you want, and it has a metronome and FX

Last edited by DavoBali; 07-08-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 AM

I don't want to sound too philosophical about this, but...
Is it possible that what you love about the demo is the "freedom" from time?
Depending on the style of song, a more rubato feel can communicate emotion much more powerfully than a quantized "in time" feel.
If you can play it in, without a metronome, and recreate that feel, you can then create beat and bar markers after-the-fact using Beat Detective. At least it will make overdubbing easier.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
I don't want to sound too philosophical about this, but...
Is it possible that what you love about the demo is the "freedom" from time?
Depending on the style of song, a more rubato feel can communicate emotion much more powerfully than a quantized "in time" feel.
If you can play it in, without a metronome, and recreate that feel, you can then create beat and bar markers after-the-fact using Beat Detective. At least it will make overdubbing easier.
So True Greg , there are times when , its almost a sin to insist we play along the click , as sometimes - slightly out of time is a better option than introducing "mood killer"
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 AM

I found a you tube video for you dude ,

Pro Tools: How to Line Up Your Tracks to the Metronome
recording.guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibdN5qz533E