Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Default PT 8 on W7 glitches!

Just did the 8.0.4cs update and all my glithes still remain. The problems I have are not even addressed in the update.
I have been using PT for 7 years. Started with 5.4 on WXP computer. In the almost 7 years I ran PT on my WXP from 5.4-7. I did not have as many glitchs and over all problems that I have had in the past 7 months since coverting to PT8. (notice I said converting no upgrade as far as I am concerned)
To convert to PT8 I had to by a new computer running W7. So I got a new one with 8 gigs of ram and a I5 processor.
From day one nothing but problems. I have yet to do an install of PT8 an not have any errors.
The glitches I have range from 50% of the time when opening a seesion I get a meesage (some file are out of bounds and need to be adjusted)
When I hit the enter key to bring the curser to beginning of a session record mode does not work. I then click in a few bars in the session and the record will work.
When recording an intrument track (xpand) after recording when I duplicate, copy, edit anything to the files I wrote the files change change randomly. If I drag the file from the regions list it is not the same as what was recorded.

After highlighting a section to edit when I am done I hit the enter key to go to the start of the track and the section remains highlighted.

The only problems I ever had with PT5.4 through PT7 is finding everyhting in the menus because of changes.
And twice in almost 7 year I had PT freeze or fail to opne and I had to uninstall and reinstall which corrected the problems.

I spent more time 8 hrs plus on my Holiday vaction dealing with problenms to 2 hours of actual record time due to PT8 still having issues. To me its obvious AVID knew PT8 has problems and thats why they went straight to PT9 before fixing PT8. PT9 came out 5 months after I bought PT8.

I am getting to the point that I will pay the ransom for PT9 if I knew it would fix my problems.

I sold my old computer with the PT7 to a friend and it is running better on a 10 year old WXP computer than PT8 is running on a new W7 computer.

What are my options????????????
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Re: PT 8 on W7 glitches!

Have you considered throwing it out a window? Sorry man, I feel your pain. I have been fighting with it for 6 months now...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Ouch. That really stinks. Hope this gets fixed for you!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 AM

you may have a bad install disk if your installing from disk or a corrupted install folder if your installing from a drive. I would DL the installer and updates again. re- install your os or do a factory restore if its a factory partitioned hard drive that did not come with a CD (HP & Lenovo) make sure your on 8.04cs2 if your running win7. I install from thumb drives and have had 0 problems install related.

The invalid bounds thing your having is corrected in later versions. You will however still recieve this error if you try to put a fade in a fade (like a xfade inside a region fade) or if the fade is to small.

Have you run the DPP latency checker on your machine?

Have you followed the win7 optimization guide?

If you have done all of this you may be out of options and either need to find a different machine or different software.