Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Default slow session launch/start ups 10-15 mins

I’ve installed pro tools LE 8.03 on a new Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2.93GHz with 8 gigs of ram. i have 2 extra internal drives (one for pro tools sessions)
i've tried everything in the "skicky DUC troubleshooting post. including checking Mac compatibility, hard drive compatibility, plug-in compatibility(I haven't added any new plug-ins yet)and i've removed all the plug-ins to the unused folder, i've followed the general setup and system optimizations..energy saver off, airport off, Bluetooth off (I’ve also tried on), firewire networking off, installed pace drivers, downloaded the tech support folder, deleted preferences, repaired permissions on Mac HD several times, deleted databases and volumes, Tested RAM, checked login items(none), startup items(none), filevault is off, i have put all 3 internal drives in the spotlight privacy list, i have uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools LE 8.0.3 and i have downloaded the Pro tools 8.0.3cs1 update. i have no external firewire or usb devises attached except the Digi 003 Rack firewire 400 i'm using an 800 to 400 adapter at the Mac with the original pro tools digi firewire 400 cable. I’ve also check the DUC for threads and most just say do the "sticky" troubleshooting...fyi I’m doing an extended memory test now...the Mac seems to be fine...pro tools takes about a 1 min to launch...it's the sessions (even blank with no tracks or plug-ins) that takes 10-15 mins to launch. it seems to take the longest with "building edit window", building mix window" and building transport windows" i've also tried removing the new internal hard drives one at a time and that doesn't seem to help. Also ive tried launching with Time Machine on or off...and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.93ghz (nehalem)
osX10.6.2 WD caviar internal record drive
Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Re: slow session launch/start ups 10-15 mins

I have the same system (except quad) and I have a problem with a session where it hangs when opening a session. I have reinstalled OSX and PT and removed various plugins, but it still does it. But the funny thing is, I can open it on my MBP running the exact same setup and I can open it on my g5 running 8.0.1.

I am beginning to think there is a weird thing with the Mac Pro CPU line with PT 8.0.3.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Or possibly an issue with the firewire buss. The 002 and 003 racks being moved into the FW800 buss may be a potential conflict. I wonder if getting a FW400 card would help?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM

i've summited this to avid support...i'll let you guys know what they say.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 AM

I posted a similar issue about a week ago after I installed another internal HDD into my 2.66 Quad core, 3GB RAM. ProTools took so long to open up that I just couldn't deal with waiting for it to finish (after 5 minutes or so). Knowing the only variable was the the new drive, I manually ejected it off of the desktop and ProTools started up as quick as usual. I haven't had time yet to do the amount of trouble-shooting you've done so I'm afraid I can't be of any help. It does sound like the issues are related though so I am curious to see what Avid has to say with your report.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM

tdidonato,

I just saw the DigiTech support reply to my original thread as well as you're question of whether it helped or not.

It did help to place the new internal HDD into the privacy panel of Spotlight. However, PT itself starts up quick but has a problem locating the audio files on the sessions that I transferred over from the start-up drive (the original drive that I had been using). It hangs on trying to locate specific audio files that I'm staring at in the Audio Files folder of the session on the new HDD. I expected it just to tell me that my original location had changed but it gets stuck instead.

Do I need to do something else to tell PT where to look for the audio files after I've transferred them to another drive? If so, how do I do that if I can't get the session to start? Should I delete them from my start-up drive because it might be confusing PT to have duplicate sessions on multiple drives?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM

the session should start even if it can't find your audio files. if the session opens and your audio is greyed out in the regions list then the task manager box should open and ask if you want to to look for the audio. you can tell it what drives to check. aslo, i think it depends on how pro tools is configuared. when you open a session look under: setup/disk allocation. there, you can choose a root media folder. normally by default your audio should be recorded to an audio file that pro tool sets up in the sessions folder. make sure create subfolders for audio, video, and fade files is checked. also, under pro tools preference/processing make sure "automatically copy file on import" is checked. i hope that helps.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Open Pro Tools then create a new session and then open that session and see how long it takes to open it. Open an old session from the past that worked and see how long it takes. I know maybe you already did all this but it's just a process of elimination.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 PM

yes i tried that. opening a blank session with no tracks or plug-ins or an old pt7 session seems to take the same amount of time...10-15 mins
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidonato View Post
yes i tried that. opening a blank session with no tracks or plug-ins or an old pt7 session seems to take the same amount of time...10-15 mins
But opening the app itself still opens quickly?