Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Question Alesis SR-16 - How to read PT Clock?

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about MIDI setup with an Alesis SR-16 and my Mac G5. I had this set up a zillion years ago for about a week once on my old G4, but for the life of me can't figure it out again. Since then, I've moved, and upgraded to a newer Mac.

Warning, I am an EXTREME novice to MIDI.

What I am trying to accomplish. Use the beats in the Alesis SR-16 drum machine to record song ideas in PT, and have it follow the Pro Tools clock (currently a Big Ben). Right now, since the SR-16 and PT don't talk to each other, obviously, the beats drift all over the place on the SR-16. I have just been dumping the audio out of the SR-16 into an audio track in PT, and just not using the PT internal click, which sucks.

My setup:

I have an M-Audio Uno - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html
I have an Alesis SR-16.
I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 w/ OS 10.5.8
Pro Tools HD 7.4.2.
3 96 I/O's.
Master clock is an Apogee Big Ben.

Now, I THINK (dangerous word for me) I remember the M-Audio MIDI interface lighting up when connected my old G4. Currently, it is dark when plugged in.

I can't get the SR-16 to be seen in Pro Tools, or to have PT trigger the SR-16, change tempo, or follow a predtermined tempo in PT.

I have tried enabling MIDI Beat Clock (setup -> MIDI -> MIDI Beat Clock), but other than checking the checkbox, it's not giving me a list of anything to choose to send the clock on any Port.

I have gone into setup -> MIDI -> MIDI Studio, and tried to scan for MIDI devices, and also have tried manually adding the SR-16 from the drop down list.

I have gone into Setup -> MIDI -> Input Devices, but that's just an empty list with OK and Cancel buttons.

Do I need to mess with the IAC Driver at all in MIDI Studio? If so, how the heck do I do that, as it's confusing as heck to me.

I know the SR-16 is ancient history, but I use it heavily, and really want it to synch up with PT if at all possible.

Way back when I did have this working on my old G4, at the time, we had to use the drum machine as the master clock. To be perfectly honest, now that I think about it, this MIGHT have been when I was still using Digital Performer 2.72. My brain doesn't remember that far back.

Any help from the MIDI gurus here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Alesis SR-16 - How to read PT Clock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMitchell View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about MIDI setup with an Alesis SR-16 and my Mac G5. I had this set up a zillion years ago for about a week once on my old G4, but for the life of me can't figure it out again. Since then, I've moved, and upgraded to a newer Mac.

Warning, I am an EXTREME novice to MIDI.

What I am trying to accomplish. Use the beats in the Alesis SR-16 drum machine to record song ideas in PT, and have it follow the Pro Tools clock (currently a Big Ben). Right now, since the SR-16 and PT don't talk to each other, obviously, the beats drift all over the place on the SR-16. I have just been dumping the audio out of the SR-16 into an audio track in PT, and just not using the PT internal click, which sucks.

My setup:

I have an M-Audio Uno - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html
I have an Alesis SR-16.
I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 w/ OS 10.5.8
Pro Tools HD 7.4.2.
3 96 I/O's.
Master clock is an Apogee Big Ben.

Now, I THINK (dangerous word for me) I remember the M-Audio MIDI interface lighting up when connected my old G4. Currently, it is dark when plugged in.

I can't get the SR-16 to be seen in Pro Tools, or to have PT trigger the SR-16, change tempo, or follow a predtermined tempo in PT.

I have tried enabling MIDI Beat Clock (setup -> MIDI -> MIDI Beat Clock), but other than checking the checkbox, it's not giving me a list of anything to choose to send the clock on any Port.

I have gone into setup -> MIDI -> MIDI Studio, and tried to scan for MIDI devices, and also have tried manually adding the SR-16 from the drop down list.

I have gone into Setup -> MIDI -> Input Devices, but that's just an empty list with OK and Cancel buttons.

Do I need to mess with the IAC Driver at all in MIDI Studio? If so, how the heck do I do that, as it's confusing as heck to me.

I know the SR-16 is ancient history, but I use it heavily, and really want it to synch up with PT if at all possible.

Way back when I did have this working on my old G4, at the time, we had to use the drum machine as the master clock. To be perfectly honest, now that I think about it, this MIGHT have been when I was still using Digital Performer 2.72. My brain doesn't remember that far back.

Any help from the MIDI gurus here would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds to me that the uno is dead. Most (if not all) usb midi devices will have some sort of indicator on them to say that they are working. You should be able to see the interface in MIDI studio at least.
If you go into About this Mac | More info | USB (under hardware) you should be able to see the uno. If you can't then that's the problem.

Hope this helps...
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Alesis SR-16 - How to read PT Clock?

Problem solved.

I'm a moron who needs to remember to install the drivers for the Uno.

Works perfectly, and yes, it does light up when connected and working. PT saw everything on its own upon reboot. Enabled MIDI beat clock for Port 1, and it tracks perfectly to PT click now.

Woo Hoo (Pee Wee Herman happy dance).