Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2009, 12:49 AM

Default I accidentally deleted coremidiserver.framework... what can/should I do?

I'm brand new to these forums and I made an account specifically just so I could get an answer to my desperate situation.

I recently tried to install a mac version of Pro Tools LE 7.4, not knowing I would need hardware to do so (stupid, I know). Once I realized this, I simply deleted everything pro tools related I could find on my computer, as I'm pressed for space at the moment.

I only have experience with Pro Tools on my school computers so I had no idea really what was going on at this point.

After uninstalling everything every time I opened up another audio program, be it Reason, a VST, or another DAW like Logic, this folder would pop up on my dock as if opening, but it would never actually open (it wasn't responding). The folder said something like "CoreMidi.Framework".

Getting annoyed by it I clicked show in finder and deleted it. Now when I open any audio program (and I have a LOT; Native instruments komplete, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Reason, Metasynth, and others) that has a rewire function it quits unexpected and when i click relaunch it just keeps crashing. Every program does this with the exception of Metasynth because it is standalone and doesn't rewire with anything.

So basically, after my short-lived attempt at installing pro tools, and deleting it all off my hard drive, none of my programs will open with out almost instantaneously crashing. I've tried reinstalling several of them including Reason and some native instruments stuff, to no effect. I've reset my application and audio settings, done software updates, restarted my computer, all in vain.

This stuff is my life and I've been totally unsuccessful in getting any of my software to work since my attempt at installing protools... somebody tell me what I need to do, I'm guessing its something simple like a settings issue, but I don't know, I'm hoping its not something irreparable. Anyway, somebody, anybody, please help, i'm desparate...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Protools made all my other programs unusable, somebody help me :(

If you are running your system with Time Machine turned on then just restore your system to its state prior to the Pro Tools installation.

If your machine is super crucial and you are not running Time Machine or comparable then you really should consider running it going forward.

I hope that a Time Machine backup was made and that this has been helpful for ya.
Hassan
Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 AM

No time machine backups... I don't have space for them Isn't there anything else I can do?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyxius View Post
No time machine backups... I don't have space for them Isn't there anything else I can do?
Hi,

To be honest this sounds very suspect

Why have you got Pro Tools LE software without the hardware interface?? they are always sold together!!

If this stuff really is your life (as you say) then you should start reading the documents that come with the software!

Rant over

Anyway, Your option is to try and run the installers again for all your Daw programs! this might replace the missing file that you deleted or you might need to run the Mac OS software to repair the missing file, as core midi framework does sound like you've deleted a Mac OS component. you don't have to re-install the software just run it and there's an option to repair.

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 AM

No - YOU made all of your programs unusable. Pro Tools comes with a handy uninstaller that doesn't delete system frameworks.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:46 AM

Well then... thanks for the friendly, unassuming, sympathetic responses.

Is there anyway to get the framework file/folder back on my computer since I was a horrible horrible sinful person and unwittingly deleted it? Is reinstalling leopard the only way?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyxius View Post
Well then... thanks for the friendly, unassuming, sympathetic responses.

Is there anyway to get the framework file/folder back on my computer since I was a horrible horrible sinful person and unwittingly deleted it? Is reinstalling leopard the only way?
From what you've said about your system backing up your data, wiping your hard drive and reinstalling everything is probably a good thing for you to do. If you want you can try reinstalling PT to get all the files including the uninstaller put back on. I still feel there is something you're not tell us, but I did support for years and that was usually the case.

If you rebuild your system after you get everything restore, configured, and working it would be opportune time to backup your system.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM

I'm definitely NOT leaving anything out, I outlined everything I did step by step... I just unwittingly deleted a framework because I didn't know what it did. And now I have no way to get it back apparently. If there's anything I did that was wrong then I've obviously paid the price and learned my lesson, I just want to know how to fix things.

I DO have my Library, Applications, Documents, and Home Folders backed up to a hard drive (I simply made copies of them, not time machine or anything). But I've tried bringing them onto my computer and it won't let me edit the files/folders.

I've also tried reinstalling protools, as well as logic and live, and I haven't gotten any of the files that I need renewed/replaced. Reinstalling reason or any other program hasn't worked either. Even from a brand new fresh install they crash.

I really don't understand, because it would seem like protools replaced some other file or framework or whatever with the coremidiserver.framework. Has it always been there even before I installed protools, and it was just now popping up? I feel like there must be a driver setting somewhere that got changed that I can somehow switch back, but no one has mentioned it so I suppose not.

So how do I wipe my hard drive exactly?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Default Re: I accidentally deleted coremidiserver.framework... what can/should I do?

The folder you are trying to replace lives in the System folder. If you have the System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMidiServer.framework (or CoreMidi.framework in your first post) on your backup you can restore it by dragging it from your backup to the System/Library/Frameworks folder. It should ask you to authenticate - enter your password. If it doesn't allow you to copy at all, you can add yourself for read/write permissions on the Frameworks folder under Get Info for that folder. You need to be very careful with this stuff, but since you're ready to reinstall everything anyway, you could give this a shot. After you copy, run repair permissions on the drive to fix the files you dragged in. I like the new topic.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: I accidentally deleted coremidiserver.framework... what can/should I do?

One other thing, you could try running the combo updater for whatever version of the OS you're on. They've updated coremidi several times over the years and the combo updater may replace what you've deleted. Easier than the alternative to try first.