Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Question Very, very slow launch! Please, HELP!

I have new one MacPro, updated with combo10.5.5, absolutely clean system, after install pt8 and reboot pt is launching about 15! minuts. Second (and all next try) the same. "Building Edit Window" about 7 minuts, then "Building transport window" about 6 minuts... after all - no errors, launch is complete and all working fine! I have read all post about optimizing OSX, try to all changes, clean up everything - result is nothing. PT7.4.2 very fast on all OSX versions - 10.5.5 and 10.5.6! Two day ago I was help my frend set up PT8 on old MacBook with 10.5.6 - very nice and simple! Please, tell me, what wrong?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Very, very slow launch! Please, HELP!

Wow, that's just bizarre - Hope your drives, and Ram are ok. JUST pro-Tools? or other programs launch slow too ?

I would download, and run the "ProTools Pref and Database Helper" effectively trashing all Pro-Tools preferences, Volumes, and Database files.

after doing this, Pro-Tools 1st launch, will be a little slower then usual, as it has to re-build it's preference files, for load, and plugins ect...

if THAT doesn't work - I'd Clean Uninstall PT - download and install the Apple 10.5.5 Combo Update - Repair permissions on your system drive, then re-install PT.

Let us know if this works, or helps.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

After all, Building Edit Window - 5 min, Building Transport Window - 3,5 min...
It's better..... can't sleep with it
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM

That's still very wrong.

if you've really tried "EVERYTHING" in the troubleshooting Sticky, Run the "ProTools Pref and Database Helper" tool, Clean uninstalled, installed the Combo Update, Reinstalled, AND Repaired Permissions.... I'd call Digidesign Tech Support, tell them you just bought the PT8 Upgrade, and it's taking 10 minutes to Load Pro-Tools.

I just Timed PT loading on my system, it took 18 seconds from Launch.

"Minutes" even one... is very wrong.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM

May be I'm crazy, but today I was happy owner of PTHD2 with 96i/o! Long time of registration, and - problem is the same! Clean install 7.4.2 is fine, clean uninstall, repair permissions, download and install PTHD8 - and more than 10 minuts Building Edit Window... No more words...
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM

One more symptom - when I try to open existing sessions (pt test sessions from install dvd), together with Building Edit Window appears Task Manager, and as I see, trying Calculating overviews, but he can't! After 20! minut, I see some Progress on it. That is All!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM

My New Intel System takes 5:15 to launch Protools... took less than a minute before... I ditched PT Prefs , Repaired Permissions, Updated to PT8 cs3, Even optimized the Volume... it was a few days since using PT, so I dunno if a MS office update caused this or an OS update caused this....
Any ideas ? I'd really prefer not to re-install the OS & Protools..

Intel 8core 2.8 10gig Ram 10.5.7 Protools 8cs3
Old 06-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Triple check that you've done the spotlight optimizations.
I had your same issue and dragging ALL my drives into the spotlight privacy tab fixed it. Seems minor, but that was it.

Apple Icon > System Prefs > Spotlight > Privacy Tab
Your hard drives need to be in this list. It's an issue with 10.5 and Pro Tools 8, any version as far as I can tell.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM

did anyone find a fix for this? i'm having the same problem. on a new mac pro.
slow launch of sessions. not the mac or even pro tools only take about a minute. the sessions take about 10-15 mins...seems to take the longest on "building edit window", "building mix window" and "building transport window" even on a blank session with no tracks or plug-ins to load.

i've done everytine in the "sticky" trouble shooting post..except set up new admin accout...
this is a new mac pro os X10.6.2 i upgraded from pro tools 7.3 windows ver to mac ver8.0.3

i havn't installed any plug-ins yet.
i have 3 internal hard drives-extended journaled (i've tried starting a session on all of them) with same results...no other usb or firewire devises...just the Digi 003, mac keyboard and mouse.
i've installed the pace drivers, turned off energy saver, airport, bluetooth, and firewire networking...downloaded the pro tools tech support folder, deleted preferences repaired permissions on the mac HD, deleted databases and volumes, checked for virus software(none), checked for login items(none), checked the startup items...only Digidesign loader, digidesign mbox 2, and pace support folders, i've made sure filevault is off, i've put all my drives in spotlight "privacy list" and i've uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools 8.0.3 with no resoulve. and i also downloaded the pro tools cs 8.0.3cs1

any suggestions? i guess tonight i'll try settng up a new admin account.

Last edited by tdidonato; 02-09-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: about me, Mac Pro 8 core osX10.6.2 Digi 003 LE pro tools 8.0.3cs1
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 AM

any updates?
Im having the same problem, very frustrating.