Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: logic pro 8 is here

Doug,
What will you use as an interface? Just curious as to how you're going to set it up. Let me know when you get a chance. And defintely let us know your thoughts once you put it through its paces.
Wheels
Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Will be an 002R and an ADA8000.

Watch this space!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Will do. I have an 002 and I'm curious as to how you run it with Logic -- re: core audio in Apple vs. DAE in PT set-up. I'm stoopid when it comes to this aspect. But I would love to use my BLA modded 002 to interface w/ Logic. Looks like I'm going to be doing some homework this weekend.
Wheels
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM

If you read close up in to Logic, Apple have followed DP and Logic can utilize the Pro Tools DAE, im not sure how this works and whether it's for TDM and native, but it's certainly interesting.

Cheers

Logic Tech Specs
Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Logic can use DAE only on TDM not native systems. It's been that way for many years.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM

I don't know about you guys, but i'm seeing Logic pro 8 like Pro Tools TDM performance (on Intel Macs) plus all the goodies of PT HD but on a $499 price tag and without been attached to an specific Interface, at least for me, the only thing that Logic lacks of is BEAT DETECTIVE....with a PT HD rig you need to buy some apogee stuff anyway...

Just my opinion....

Pro Tools 9 HD / 192io / C24
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 / 8Gb Ram
Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 PM

That's very interesting. I wonder what Digi will do with the next version of PT, whether its 7.4 or 8.
Or whether the hardware-less PT(or Mbox Stick) will actually come out.
Or even the "middle ground" that was mentioned a while back when the 003 came out.
PT 8 cs2 OSX 10.5.8
Mbox 2 Pro, Mini, Micro
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 AM

Elastic audio and upgrades in the video department... or so I've heard.

Logic Pro have always been better than PTLE. It isn't hard to understand why - LE is INTENTIONALLY crippled software, Logic Pro isn't. Logic Pro 7 was way better out of the box as well, it had loads of plug-ins that PTLE hadn't. Of course the price tag was much higher and you'd still need to buy a proper audio interface, so comparing them wouldn't be fair.

The reason to use PTLE over Logic is if you like the Pro Tools interface (and workflow) better, because you won't find that in Logic. Also a few specific plug-in creators (they're getting fewer every time I write these kinds of posts) like McDSP and Massey, which makes unique products.

PTHD is a whole other thing... Logic is very popular here, it can be found in recording studios as well as in song writer studios. Many of the top players here use Logic, my experience say that there are even more of them than PT users (but I don't got any numbers on that).

- BUT -

They do so with TDM hardware, so Digidesign won't loose any sleep over that.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:07 AM

I really hope that Digi makes good use of their new sister company Sibelius. I have both Logic and Pro Tools and as long as Digi keeps integrating with Sibelius (which is my favourite piece of software ever) I'll stay on board. Apple has really thrown the gauntlet down with Logic 8. Most of the improvements of LP8 are under the hood and workflow enhancements. It's the under the hood stuff that took so long. Now that that's out of the way, I think Apple will really be aggressively coming out with new features and enhancements from here on in.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Logic Pro have always been better than PTLE. It isn't hard to understand why - LE is INTENTIONALLY crippled software, Logic Pro isn't. Logic Pro 7 was way better out of the box as well, it had loads of plug-ins that PTLE hadn't.
Logic Express is a more fair comparison. And it looks bloody good in comparison to LE.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation