Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Default 002 power harness \"hard time\"???

Has anyone else been given a hard time or the "third degree" when asking for a new power harness for a Digi 002?

I have helped at least a half a dozen people in my area replace them in the last few years, one just a month ago, and yesterday I got the call from a former student. I told him to call Digi and order the replacement part. Everyone else I know just called, reported the problem and had a new one in the mail the next day.

This last guy called up and they kept grilling him about which lights were lighting on the 002 and blah blah blah. They just about refused to send him one unless he reported the 'correct' symptoms! Now I have seen this problem enough times to know it when I see it and he's got it!

Why are they giving him the runaround?

Is this new? Is Digi getting stingy with their power harnesses? Is this happening to others, or did he just get the constipated tech support guy?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: 002 power harness \"hard time\"???

Hey Joe (i presume)
We are all smart peops (i think)
This was my fix, went through the same BS several times !!!!
Any way here is the real fix !!!
Cut that little Baxstard plug right of !!!!
And hard wire that son of a gun right on to the terminals (solder)
Fixed for ever !!!
But what is even better if you do not want to bastardise your unit get you a seperate PS i use two Juice Goose Pros $250ish a peice (dont think you have to pay this much Check out furman!!!!)
From then on in leave every thing powered up and then just flick the switch on your power supply of choice !!!
No more power harness sh*t
do not have to ever touch that piece o sh*t 002 on off switch again
Shaun
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM

I recently have been experiencing this exact problem. My 002R has been down for almost a week now and i can't afford anymore down time. Could you explain this fix(cutting off the plug) of yours in a little more detail. What plug are you talking about? Do you mean the 3 prong at the back of the unit? My 002R has three wires running into that socket (which the plug goes into). The wires are connected by sliding their female fixture over three seperate male connections on the inner half of the socket.....Is this what you are talking about cutting off? And if so...where exactly do you solder the bare wires back on? Do I have to take the socket off to do this?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM

He's talking about the harness inside the 002R... it is a ribbon of several colored wires with a connector on the end (3 connectors to be exact)... cutting the connector off and soldering the ends to the terminals is a good idea.... you do have to remove the top of the 002R to get to the harness..
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 AM

Right. So when you say "terminals" you are talking about the three post that stick out on the inside portion of the receptacle....correct? You pull off the three connectors and clip them all off, then expose the wire by removing some of the sheilding and then solder them back on the same post that they were previously connected to.....correct?? This will bypass the [bleep] connectors that become oxidized and alieviate the need for a new harness...correct??? I just want to make sure before i go and start cutting things off the harness?? Thanks a bunch for you help....much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM

So...Digi is sending me a new harness overnight. No need to "bastardize" my 002 just yet. We'll see if this fixes it for the time being but i imagine i'll have to modify the connections eventually. Hopefully the connections are gold on gold or tin on tin....no more oxidizing.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 PM

If Tech support sees this I would like to thank them for sending the new power harness out without any hassle and for doing it so quickly. Much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 PM

Unhappy Re: 002 power harness "hard time"???

I've got the same 002 wiring harness problem! How many other owners have had this problem? Has anyone taken a survey?

I've got an 002 I bought a few years ago for mobile recording. I've used it only a few times. I began to experience the harness problem about a year after purchasing it, so the warranty was out. I used it exactly 3 times in the first year after purchase, and although the unit sounds great, the wiring harness issue has deeply pissed me off. I was ready to upgrade to one of the expensive HD systems with one of their super expensive boards, but after having this 002 problem, I'm looking at other brands of digital recorders. I like ProTools somewhat, but there are certainly other software packages that are as good or better.

The salesman at the Guitar Center told me to unplug and replug the harness, which did cure the problem for a couple of weeks. Then the oxidation or whatever causes the problem returned, forcing me now to remove the bottom of the unit so I can unplug and clean the harness EVERY TIME I need to use the 002. This sucks, and no manufacturer of quality equipment should let crap like this occur.

How does the new harness correct this problem? Oxidation would occur on both the male and female pins, right? So how does installing a new harness "cure" this problem? Does anyone here have some idea on how many 002 users have experienced this problem, in percentages of owners? In other words, does EVERY 002 fail?

Does the 003 solve this problem? If so, that is likely the reason why the 002 was replaced so quickly by the 003, which appears to me to be far less expensive to build. Does the 003 suffer from this wire harness issue?

What, exactly, is Digidesign doing about this problem for their 002 owners, other than handing out free Chinese wiring harnesses that cost around $2 or 3 dollars?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM

Smile Re: 002 power harness "hard time"???/Detoxit

There is a product you may want to try. It is magic for me. I live in a humid area (Bangkok.) It's expensive but treating all your connections including Power Harness, Firewire, USB, TRS etc. will yield measurable results. This has been my experience. Tiny spray bottle is abot $17 USA larger bottle is $50 USD. Best of luck.

Tom Parker Production: MacPro Quad, 002R, PT 8, Neumann, Aphex 230. 108 107, HSM50/80's. Meek VC1, Morigami wired.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Default Re: 002 power harness "hard time"???

My "temp" fix:

I found the right spot to punch the unit, right below the faders (002 console), which usually reseats the harness. A good shaking also works sometimes, and if that doesn't work, simply opening the unit and reseating the harness usually does the trick.

Still, it's the stupidest flaw ever.