Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Re: HD Native now on Digi website

Well this is just what I did.

They didn't have the native card yet, and I needed to be up and running. Got an HD Core for less than the native card. Already had a Mac Pro. Bought the Omni.

TH
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Still not completely sold on this, and don't see it as that link between LE and HD.

You can still buy a PCIe HD card for less and get a used 192 for $1200 and have a great HD system, with TDM and RTAS plugins.

Not "everyone" needs 4 I/O's and 192 tracks to work in Pro Tools, count, but some of us would like the HD features like ADC, and no latency, more tracks than LE, Timecode, Ft & Frames, better converters, VCA's, etc without spending 2k on CPTK (even though HD still doesn't throw in Digitranslator in 2010...really?!)
No RTAS issues have ben solved, and your computer is still going to run a ton of them with or without this card.
I too was really hoping this would've been $1500, maybe $2,000 plus an I/O, but not at this time....

We'll see what's what at AES and or just what kinds of "bones" will be thrown for upgrade paths.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Talking Re: HD Native now on Digi website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
No details to share at the moment but CPTK will not be dead ended. There will be bones to throw.
I'll happily add it to my Christmas wish list!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Bobby, yes. And when you are using a 64-sample buffer at 96k, your throughput latency is 1.6 ms. If you turn up the buffer size and need a direct monitoring solution, you have the option to identify a low latency monitor path and monitor your inputs directly from the hardware. When doing that, the input source doesn't hit the mixer so you would be bypassing any plug-ins. However, you can use a separate aux to monitor with time-based effects like reverb. Of course, if you want guaranteed peak performance and ultra-low latency, Pro Tools|HD systems with dedicated DSP give you a throughput latency of .44 ms with the new I/O (again, at 96k).
Hi Tony. A question, will you be enabling RTAS plugins on record- enabled tracks in HD Accel now? If not it will mean that your current flagship product will be clearly inferior in that regard to your new "midpoint" offerring...

(Some background, I run a Accel3 rig with a modern 8-core Mac Pro and mostly mix, with 90% of plug-ins in RTAS, and especially if this feature would be enabled would be able to stick 100% with RTAS plug-ins... I would believe that is how a lot of people roll these days.)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 PM

Is it really true that HD doesn't include the ability to import OMFs & AAFs? Optional?
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 PM

You have the "ability" with HD software, when you purchase Digitranslator for $495 from AVID or I've seen it on eBay for $129 + shipping. (Requires an iLok license)
OR, you could open an OMF file in Logic, Cubase or other DAW's that include it free as part of their program, consolidate the audio tracks, export them and import the tracks into a Pro Tools session. There are choices...lol
Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 PM

I'm currently using LE (003R) light piped to an RME FF800 running Logic, which is how I open OMFs... only that I am happy to continue editing and mixing in Logic.
I'm vey curious about the HD|Native route, so very curious about the things that it doesn't do.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
No details to share at the moment but CPTK will not be dead ended. There will be bones to throw.
Is it still true for other le users? Or is it only for cptk owners?

Many has digi00series factory packages with some toolkit (music prod, or dv toolkit). What about them?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Comments and questions for Tony Cariddi

I am currently running Logic with an Apogee Symphony 32 system. The system has been rock solid for me as a composer. I am looking at upgrading to the new Symphony I/O 64 system mainly to have access to the upgraded converters.

When I saw the new Digi converters come out I thought to myself how cool it would be if the new HD Native Card would work seamlessly with Logic. I could have Pro Tools and Logic on one system which is what I have always wanted. So

1. Will the new card/HD converters work seamlessly with other software(e.g. Logic) at low latencies(buffer 64).

2. What's on the horizon for RTAS? To date it is not to my standards compared to Audio Units.

I would have purchased ProTools 8 and HD a long time ago if it was't for RTAS performance issues with VI's

Thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM

I'm just curious what kind of performance issues we can expect if we're still tied do the "Digi Core Audio Driver"

Being strapped to the digi driver instead of Apple's audio driver is a major downer if past performance is any indicator.