Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Default trigger record w/footswitch?

I've got a Digi 002 and want to be able to trigger record with a footswitch. I am a woodwind player and need both hands on my instrument (I assume guitar players have the same issue.) So far all I can do is trigger punch once playback has already started, but I need to be able to trigger the transport and have it go into record as if I hit the Command & Spacebar together so I get the countoff etc.

Who's got this figured out?
thanks!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Default Re: trigger record w/footswitch?

Get a switchable (Full open or full closed) piano sustain pedal from the music store (MAudio makes one). Plug it into the back of the 002 (on the foot switch plug)...Hit quick punch, record arm track, hit play and when you need to punch in hit the pedal. I do it all the time.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshore View Post
I've got a Digi 002 and want to be able to trigger record with a footswitch. I am a woodwind player and need both hands on my instrument (I assume guitar players have the same issue.) So far all I can do is trigger punch once playback has already started, but I need to be able to trigger the transport and have it go into record as if I hit the Command & Spacebar together so I get the countoff etc.

Who's got this figured out?
thanks!
Under Setup> Hardware for the 002, there is an option weather the footswitch will control playback Start/Stop, or record Punch In/Out..

I guess you'll have to figure which will work better for you..

If it's play/stop, you'll have to set the punch in/out points in the edit window, record arm the transport then hit the pedal to start...

If it's Punch in/out, then you just need to set where you want playback to begin, then hit f12. It won't start recording until you touch the pedal.. You can do multiple punches this way..

If you don't have a footswitch, you can also set your pre-roll to something that will give you time to get into position..

Or you can use dynamic transport which will allow you to set the play start marker independently of your timeline selection, which controls the recording range..

Note that you'll need to have the correct record mode set, namely quickpunch for most of these scenarios..
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Under Setup> Hardware for the 002, there is an option weather the footswitch will control playback Start/Stop, or record Punch In/Out..

I guess you'll have to figure which will work better for you..

If it's play/stop, you'll have to set the punch in/out points in the edit window, record arm the transport then hit the pedal to start...

If it's Punch in/out, then you just need to set where you want playback to begin, then hit f12. It won't start recording until you touch the pedal.. You can do multiple punches this way..

If you don't have a footswitch, you can also set your pre-roll to something that will give you time to get into position..

Or you can use dynamic transport which will allow you to set the play start marker independently of your timeline selection, which controls the recording range..

Note that you'll need to have the correct record mode set, namely quickpunch for most of these scenarios..
Hey, thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed. I wish this was better implemented but thanks for mentioning the workarounds!

Windshore
Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 AM

OK, so this works for PT now, but Logic is not happy with the foot switch. (plugged into the 002's foot switch jack) Logic receives the foot switch on off as a midi note C2. (vel 16 off and 80 on)

When I assign the foot switch to any of the record functions, it works ok for a couple of passes, then crashes Logic consistently.

I've run a bunch of tests and even when the foot switch is unassigned but I step on it it while in record, it crashes Logic...? It might just be a bug with my particular setup.

G5 dual 2.3
OSX 10.4.11
Logic Pro 8.02
Digi 002
DigiCore driver 7.4