Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Default Fast editing to the grid?

Alright PT pros - I need some advice!

I'm wanting to know how to fast edit whole files to the grid. Here's my scenario - I've recently recorded some ska/reggae style songs for a band, but the guitarists playing is always slightly off the beat.

I can split/separate the file at each note and align it to the grid, but surely there has to be a faster way.... and as i've recorded about a 1/2 hour of his playing I don't want to have to edit each of his 3000 played notes individually.

Is there a more efficient way of approaching this?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Fast editing to the grid?

For 'batch' processing, I guess either Beat Detective or Melodyne could do this but quite how good the results would be I'm not sure. Is the timing consistent? Could you nudge the audio?

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM

The timing is pretty bad, sometimes ahead of the beat, sometime dragging... but his riffs are simple so they should be easy to edit without too much negative impact
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM

7.4 and the introduction of elastic audio mean you can now now quantize audio like midi. How affective this is i can't comment and i guess each scenario is different. If you check out Digi TV then you can see elastic in action.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Beat Detective can actually work great for that, but you'd probably need someone to walk you through how to do it. The alternative is to select the good bars and paste them over the bad bars.

You can also use the "Tab to Transients" and the "command-E" to divide. You can then either quantize or eyeball to grid.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM

I'd also second Beat detective, I use it consitently on bass as well as drums... elastic audio in 7.4 is great, if you don't have to deal with the mis-drawn waveforms.... but, it osunds like you did it to a click.. so fix once through of each riff and copy and paste.. THats what i had to do on a recording for a band I just finished working with... (their guitars sucked... we finished recording, gtr players left and everyone begged me to fix their parts...).. Sad thing is.. they prb won't realize they didn't play what they;re gonna hear....

CB

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 03-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Just did that with Beat detective on a guitarist who had never played a ska beat and was having "feel" trouble and it worked great on his two tracks! The drums were played to a click so the tempo map was there already.