Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2008, 07:48 AM

Default Placing CD Track Markers??? Please Help

Hey guys and gals, I am need of some info regarding cd track markers. I’m going to transfer a 1970’s recording of my dad’s band from tape to cd. I’m going to take it from tape into protools and then bounce it onto cd from there. My question is what are you guys using to place cd track markers. Is there a way to do this inside protools?

Thanks for any help,
Justin
Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Placing CD Track Markers??? Please Help

can't do it in PT.
You can throw the files in iTunes or Waveburner if you have that, otherwise there are several dedicated programs including Roxio.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 AM

I can't believe that PT can't do this yet; these guys need to add this function.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 AM

'course PTools can do it -kind of ..
record tape into PTools, edit into regions, and export regions as wav or aif files (44.1KHz, 16 bit), and then import those regions into Toast or Jam - do crossfades and insert gaps (in Jam if required)....
Voila ...1 CD.

However, if you are intending to add processing to the Tape after recording into PTools, then you'll have to bounce the file, re-import back into PTools, edit into regions, and then export those regions as wavs or aif files ( as previously explained). This way you can add EQ, compression, limiting etc etc .

But you are partly correct , as sadly you have to rely on Toast or Jam to actually burn the CD -PTools has always lacked this facility.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Yes,,,,,I've ben' wanting track markers in Pro Tools for a long time. Bouncing in real time and importing into iTunes is very time consuming. You would think with both apps pretty much being the industry standard they would resolve this. Like Garageband's import to iTunes feature. Drag and drop would be the ultimate....It would be nice to select a region in the time line and drop into iTunes. I also think iTunes should have a basic stereo editor so you can create fades and have all the file levels matched before you burn to cd and with Apple's Soundtrack and Logic the work is done already.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Many moons ago, Digidesign had an application called Masterlink. It was a fabulous CD authoring tool that allowed you to put track markers anywhere, nudge them by small increments, and do all the other stuff you need for authoring.

I guess they got tired of updating the software to support all the new CD burners that kept appearing on the market, and it was eventually discontinued. I do wish they would go back a look at it again. I miss it.