Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2003, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Share your 002 experience

Hi Kling 3,

you say you use 002r with the dua1 1.25 FW 800 ? I note from Digi compatibility info, that although this is a recommended machine, that a PCI firewire card should be used, which seems pretty strange.

Quote:
FireWire Drives and Power Mac G4 "FW800"
Models
The following problem exists with the Digi 002 & Digi 002 Rack and
the 2003 Power Mac G4 "FW800" models with FireWire 800 ports:
Recording with the Digi 002 or 002 Rack to a FireWire drive connected
to any of the 3 built-in Firewire ports on these computers can result
in -6085 errors.
On these computers, Digidesign recommends using a dedicated internal
ATA/IDE drive for recording.
The use of a Third Party FireWire PCI card is necessary with FW800
machines with Digi 002 or 002 Rack if the user wishes to either record
to or boot from an external FireWire drive. If using FireWire drives
with Digi 002 or 002 Rack & the 2003 Power Mac G4 FW800 models,
a FireWire PCI adapter card must be used.
This problem only occurs on the 2003 Power Mac G4 FW800 desktop models.
All other supported computers can use FireWire drives connected to the
built-in FireWire ports.

I need to upgrade from my G4 450 machine, and there are some great offers going on the later G4 duals (I also have 002 ), so curious to hear if it all runs ok, or if your slight "delays" in responsiveness might be due to this firewire 800 stuff? Do you have any other odd things happening, eg delays in "save as" for example ?

Thanks for any info.

003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 08-23-2003, 05:02 AM

Kite,

I'm aware of the PCI card for firewire drives. However I'm using an internal IDE just as Digi recommends. So as far as I'm concerned, I shouldn't have any issues or prompts. I will play some more today and let you know if anything else strange happens. Launched PT this morning and everything was fine. I would like to know the proper startup sequence though. What gets turned on first, the 002r or the CPU? Or does it matter?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:01 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the motormix uses MIDI to recieve and send info right? And the 002 uses FW...
Got the idea?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:24 AM

OK quik question . Why would any1 be looking for a 002 or sumthing similar when there is a 56 channel mixing board? Do you run LE on an SSL ? It seems silly to be judging the 002 and giving advice from the point of view which you stand in. I work at a larger professional studio and I dont thing they'll ever look at a 002 . Well my opinion is that the 002 is the best thing that happened in home studios. Full fader automation and control .only a simple firewire conection. I have it at home and love it. For a home setup it is great , but for a 56 channel mixing board studio ? why would you even look at it
Old 08-24-2003, 06:30 AM

Yeah, 002 rocks.
I used the MotorMix for quite some time with the 001. my beef against it is that there are too many multi-function buttons on it, and no touch-sensitive faders. Favorite feature of the 002 is the FLIP switch of the faders!!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 10:12 AM

Well, our 56 channel board is a mackie 32*8, and the 24 channel add on.. And we had 5 ADAT's.. This was all at the studio before I got there.. We desperately needed some sort of DAW, but we didn't have enough of a budget to go with a Mix system, or HD system, and still get everything we needed. (Computer, wiring, etc).. So, we decided to go with the 002R for right now, and then upgrade in a year or two.. I know, it's a round about way to go, but the owner and other engineer hadn't really used a DAW except for Magix Music and an old version of Cakewalk, so they weren't exactly convinced to spend $10,000 right away because they thought it all sounded mediocre at best, and thought that you just couldn't do much with it.. Add to that the fact that the other engineer is sort of afraid of computers due to ignorance, and it just becomes sort of a mess.. The 002R was basically my chance to prove that DAW's are very useful and can sound great as well..

So, now we've just bought 2 HD24's, which are supposed to have better converters (24 bit as well), and we're going to be upgrading A/D/A converters and WordClock.. We basically record to the HD24's, use our outboard gear for tube preamps, etc, then we go through a MOTU2408 to get it to the Mac, then use PT to do a good mix/editing/etc..

My job for coming to the studio was to bring us up-to-date on things.. Not that analog isn't good, but we really needed that jump into the current century.. However, as the new guy, I didn't have the oppurtunity of an unlimited budget..

Yada, yada.. So, hopefully you will see why we went with a 002R instead of a TDM system.. The money just isn't there right now, and won't be for a good while.. We're also redoing the interior of the studio, and expanding the control room.. Right now the CR is about 4' x 9'.. With 4 people it's VERY cramped, and isn't great for a listening room.. SO, we're taking baby steps to becoming a better studio.. Maybe not the most efficient way at becoming a "large" studio, but our rates aren't out of this world either.. We charge $40/hr - $50/hr, so we're not out to become rich, we just love to help bands make music, and not become this place that bands wish they could come, but couldn't afford it unless they sold their souls to a record label..

I'd love to work for a huge recording studio with a seemingly limitless budget, but I get free reign here.. I'm Chief Engineer, I'm getting a lot of experience that I couldn't get anywhere else, and I'm getting to see a lot of my ideas come into fruition.. Oh, and the money isn't too bad

eric
Old 08-24-2003, 12:08 PM

The motor mix uses only 127 steps of resolution (midi) The 002 uses 1027 steps of resolution. I've heard that the HUI actually uses 1027 steps of resolution too, so it might be a better choice that the motor mix. I have the standard 002 and it works great for me.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:04 PM

002 rocks!!!!!!!!

SG
Old 08-27-2003, 03:25 AM

Hi again Kling 3,
thanks for the info-thought that maybe you were not using a FWire drive ! So, answer to your question -according to Digi, and also my experience, boot up your Mac, and then switch on 002, plus any FWire drives (which you don't use !). Then fire -up Pro Tools. This order of start up is supposed to ensure a better communication with firewire ancillaries....that's the theory, and that's what seems to work just fine for me (I use Glyph Project X firewire drive, plus a Glyph scsi ultrawide, via Atto scsi pci card on my G4 AGP 450)

all the best
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 08-27-2003, 08:36 AM

"ladewd & byteme,
What about audioeric's earlier post - stating "(002) didn't lend itself to adding more faders easily."
Have either of you encountered this problem? "

I don't understand this. Why would you need to add more faders with just 32 tracks? 4 Pages is not much to skim through. I also hate the fact that the motor mix is motion sensitive and not touch sensitive. The surface feels cluttered to me, and it looks and feels very unprofessional. The 002 feels very close to the focusrite control surface. It's like a little nephew of it. It was built for pro-tools, so you don't have all of these extraneous (anonymous) buttons. Plus MIDI's accuracy doesn't compare to the 002's firewire.
AJ